Customer Technical Program intern in a world leading GE Aviation maintenance, repair & overhaul (MRO) facility for commercial aircraft engines.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The internship is extremely well focused on providing the best development possible for all the interns. The work is varied and exciting and interns are given a huge amount of responsibility for their work and development. Almost every work day would seem to fly by with exciting and challenging work.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
All of our work was valued extremely highly by my colleagues. There was no differentiation between the work an intern produced compared to a full time salaried employee. We were encouraged to take on responsibility and extra work as much as possible to increase our business impact more and more.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The internship was structured to support and guide interns through strong professional development. We all had mentors who guided us with our worked and assisted us where possible. Our mentor also helped us develop through formal and informal feedback throughout the year to push my development. Your performance is assessed in formal reviews to leadership at GE with formal feedback in response.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Work would ebb and flow depending on the current business objectives. Occasionally you would have extremely busy weeks accompanied with some quieter weeks where it would balance the busier weeks. You are expected to adjusting your working hours to suite this changing business demands and any extra work would help make working hours more flexible when you needed them to be.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The amount of responsibility given was the biggest positive of the internship. You were encouraged to identify those opportunities to improve the business commercials and come up with solutions to problems affecting the business. You were allowed to work and manage your projects to their conclusion and had the responsibility of their success or failure on you.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My skills have developed to levels that I will carry in my future career immensely. My ability to communicate clear and concise arguments is way above the level I thought possible. My main improvement was how to present information in a manner that allows me to convey and clear argument and drive business impact.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office was friendly and inclusive. Everyone is willing to help and have fun together, creating a very coherent working environment based upon sharing information and work. The offices are split into roles across different products creating a sense of community. We are all developing solutions together across products to support the business.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship is managed by a committee of professionals dedicated to the development of the internship and interns through continuous improvement. The structure for the year is set in curriculum and compulsory learning events, reviews, travel and projects. A timetable for the year is set up early in the year and follow meticulously by the committee.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
GE invests a large amount of resources supporting interns development. All of our work and development is supporting by full time professional employees and resources. Our peers take time out of their work to assist and monitor our development and work closely, whilst taking an active role in training sessions for the interns.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
The company operates various sponsorship schemes to support you during your final years at university and guarantee you a Job after graduation if you succeed in the applications. I am applying for this bursary scheme and hopefully I will be in the company to stay in the future for a successful career.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The social scene among fellow placement students was great. We all go out to event and to different social scenes regularly. The first week involves a big night out with all the current and previous years interns and the intern committee, with around 100 people attending to all get to know each other.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?