Finance Intern at Porsche

Reading South West
Accountancy Financial Management

7.4/10

At Porsche the finance intern is responsible for managing and administrating the company staff expenses system and administrating one of the main intercompany accounts. The intern also produces monthly reports for HMRC and updates cost centre reports for managers.

I had a fantastic 12 months at Porsche working with some great people who were always willing to lend a helping hand!

I felt like a valued memeber of the team from the start as I was given real tasks to complete. The team at Porsche create a good atmosphere to work which helps you fit in very quickly!

My manager was on hand frequently to help me out and I had regular monthly meetings with him to look at how the placement was progressing. The team I worked in were also very supportive and very receptive to me coming to them for support and guidance.

I did the finance placement and theres no doubt that with finance the workload can go up and down with a higher volume around the month end period. Over the course of the placement I was able to take on some small projects to even my workload out across the month.

At Porsche you are given lots of responsibility that I'd certainly never had before in any summer internships I'd done. I really enjoyed this as I felt I learnt lots more because of it whilst also having strong support behind me for when the situation called for more experience.

I'm just about to start my CIMA qualification now and the experience at Porsche helps me to understand whats expected of me on a professional level that university can't prepare you for.

The office atmosphere was really enjoyable, all the different departments at Porsche interact really well together which makes it an enjoyable place to work.

The HR team run the internship really well and keep in touch with you via a monthly meeting while always being on hand if you need to see them for a chat. The finance department I worked in has been taking on interns over a number of years so the workload is well set out with the option to get involved in some small projects as well.

I was surprised at how much Porsche chose to invest in my development. I had the opportunity to develop my presentation skills, assertive and influencing skills on external courses. The presentation skills course especially had a great impact on me and helped me to perform better in interviews and assessment days leading to me getting a graduate job.

Porsche runs a placement year program and not a graduate program so job prospects afterward are as and when opportunities arise. Some interns in my year did get permanent jobs with the company but the majority are now elsewhere.

I spent quite a few evenings over my 12 month placement with the fellow interns as Porsche. Reading is a really good night out with lots of student nights to take advantage of!!

Reading isn't too expensive to live in and accomodation is normally around £500 a month including bills.

There's decent nightlife in Reading and for the more adventurous your only 30 minutes by train to London!

Porsche offers opportunities to work on different car show events that they participate in such as the Goodwood Festival of Speed, you can also involved in activities at the Porsche Experience Centre at Silverstone.