1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement year at Hays. Working at Hays has allowed me to gain experiences and develop skills that will hep me to excel at university and in my future career. I developed excellent working relationships which made work even more enjoyable.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues made me feel really valued and I was treated the same as any other consultant. My efforts and achievements were recognized and praised by both the team and management.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Support and guidance is given whenever it is needed. Hays culture supports asking questions and managers are happy to help. I had monthly reviews with my manager which was a great opportunity to discuss any support I may need.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Every day was busy, I worked on a desk that was constantly busy and was very demanding. I quickly had to learn how to manage my day to ensure all deadlines and expectations were met. The workload wasn't overwhelming if managed properly.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given the same amount of responsibility as any other consultant in the business. I was responsible for meeting all set deadlines, expectations and KPIs. At Hays there is no intern who is just making the teas and given unimportant duties. The level of responsibility given allowed me to personally develop a huge amount.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
This placement at Hays has allowed me to develop skills I will use at university and beyond. One of the most important things I developed was confidence, I will now feel comfortable to approach lecturers to ask questions etc. I genuinely think that there is no other placement where I could have gained more skills.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in the office is excellent, everyone is friendly and happy to help. Everybody in the office is always motivated and working hard.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was set up really well. We were given excellent training which took place over the first 4 weeks and set us up for the rest of our placement year. It was really clear what my responsibilities were and what I was expected to do. It is clear that Hays have been employing placement year students for a while as everything runs smoothly.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Hays provides industry leading training to everyone that joins the business, including interns. The training is a big reason people join Hays, you are in a training academy for 4 weeks and then have offsite training for 3 days which consolidates everything.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
My team were very sociable, enjoying team incentives and arranging our own social events.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The office was in Central London so expect London prices.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
As we were located in Central Lodon the nightlife was excellent.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
As mentioned, my team were very sociable and always arranging to do things outside of work. Hays also runs a number of team incentives if targets are met.