Manage commercial resources to maximise margin through the placement of subcontractor contracts.
Subcontract packages from enquiry through to final account.
Package management and change control.
Assessment of variations and valuations of subcontractor accounts.
Maximise cash flow through the control, measurement, negotiation, invoicing and payment of the supply chain
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My placement was very enjoyable however some days I was stuck doing mind numbing tasks - the office environment was great and everyone was very friendly so that helped a lot.
I believe it gave me an insight to what actual working life would be like, so I am no longer as nervous about the future.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I think at the start I was not valued as much because I couldn't help out as much, so I was stuck doing little tasks here and there. However as I learnt more I was able to help more. So once I was helping more I really did feel valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My role was a placement Quantity Surveyor, so during the placement I was sat next to 3 Quantity surveyors and 1 trainee. This allowed me to be given support whenever it was needed. I think sitting next to QS's helped with my progression a lot and allowed me to do more difficult stuff with confidence.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
At the start there were weeks when it was all engines go, chaos in the office, people running about. Then some days there would be almost nothing to do. Maybe it was because the office was too efficient but who knows. However towards the end of the placement I was busy the majority of the time
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
When I first started I was given almost 0 responsibility. However as I progressed and learnt more and more I was given more difficult tasks. Until towards the end I was given my own project to run, so I had to do all the enquiries, orders, target cost submissions etc etc. (still with supervision though)
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I think all my professional and technical skills developed quite a lot during my placement. I'm not sure how it will have an impact on my studies in the future but I do think my skills which are needed for my future career have all been honed.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
This is office had a very laid back atmosphere. There were heated discussions between people but that's just life but overall everyone is extremely nice and helpful. I think it is a very good atmosphere to be on placement. Every Friday they did a dress down day so you come to work in whatever you want.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I think the company didn't really have a organised set up, when I first started they were looking around for tasks for me to do so for the first month or two I didn't really learn anything, I was stuck having to read health and safety files, complete mind numbing documents etc.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I received a CSCS card so the company had to invest in me to receive that. Once I was placed next to other commercial team members
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing because you get some more perks like a company car or fuel allowance which would be very helpful. There is also seems to be a good progression in the company. It seems like you won't get stuck going the same thing again and again as the company will give you a way to progress.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
In this office there was only two placement students. The office overall had a job social life as people would be going out together almost every week and the office would hold various events now and again which would be team bonding exercises or hiring a pizza van.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
It's quite cheap in the area,
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Non existent one of the main issues I had working In the area is that there was barely a nightlife. I found it hard to meet people outside of work so I found myself going home most weekends instead, or just staying in my flat hanging out with my flat mates.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
During uni I was part of the rowing club, and there is a Peterborough rowing club so I just joined that club. However there was no one my age around so I didn't really stay long. I think there are quite a few other clubs in the area which people can join.