I am the HR Intern in Travelport. My role involves supporting projects within my team as well as reporting on information.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement here at Travelport. It provided a great deal of insight into the day to day running of a company along with insight in to my area of choice; Travelport. It has been a year with many opportunities to get involved in different projects within my team.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I do feel as if my opinions and thoughts are valued within my team, that I am not just an intern and that I am a valued member of the team. My thoughts and opinions get heard and actioned, meaning I am values and respected within my team and with what I do.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager is always on hand when needed and if always there to help. She is more than happy ot look over any work i have that i need checking before sending out as well as there to talk through any of my projects. I have weekly 1-2-1 to also discuss what i am getting up to.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I have weekly and daily tasks that have to be done for different projects, so i would say that I am relatively busy. Sometimes it is a quieter week than others but it always picks back up when something happens within the team or company. I am mainly involved in projects that develop employees.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I am treated like an employee rather than like an intern therefore giving me the responsibility of an employee rather than an intern. This provides me with a greater experience and a realistic view on how the work life is and how is will be when i graduate after my final year.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Throughout this year I have learnt a lot, but more specifically I feel more confident and mature. This will allow me have a more structures study life in the final year of studies. I have much more discipline with work and feel I will be able to take this back to University with me.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
There is a very friendly and welcoming atmosphere here at Travelport. Within my team we are very open and happily chat about anything and everything. It is nice to have such a friendly atmosphere as it makes coming to work more fun as you are also the coming to see your friends.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The overall placement was very well organised. With 18 interns in total they have done well to keep it so organised. We have sessions throughout the placement with our intern sponsor to just update her on how we are doing and if there if any more support we want throughout our time here.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There is a personal development programme throughout out time here. These consist of a session monthly to develop. Some of our sessions have been on presentation skills, values and behaviours, communication and overall development.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Although there is not a set graduate programme if there are any jobs available within the company we can apply. I have thoroughly enjoyed working for a company like Travelport, it is a complex organisation extremely interesting as there are so many diferent parts to learn and explore more in.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, there are 18 of us interns so we are always able to hold social events outside of work. Whether that be just going for a drink, going out or going for dinner. There is also an internal Travelport Social Club that also puts on events throughout the year for the whole company.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living was average, just a bit more than we pay at university. It is also close to London so we expected that rent would be more due to the location. In Slough there are pubs but we normally ventrue to Windsor or Reading if we want to go out.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Normally if we want to go out we will go to Windsor, Reading or London as they have better nighlives. In slough there are pubs not as we work in Langley we normally just go to Windsor to go to pubs and clubs. Or alternatively we host house parties between us.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Travelport has their own social club that holds events throughout the year. Some of the events that have been put on are seeing Cirque de Soleil, Go Karting, High Ropes and a Comedy night. There are also activities that we organise between us interns after work to keep ourselves entertained.