1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Working at the company was very enjoyable. There is always alot going on in the building and different things you can get involved in. You are also a valued memeber of your team so are given a lot of responsibility when it comes to work, which is good. There are lots of other interns in the building so it is sociable.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
You are given alot of your own tasks and projects to do on a monthly/weekly basis. You are a valued member of the team and always involved in what the team is doing and there to help with the work load. You are given a lot of responsibility right from the beginning.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had regular one to one meetings with my manager and this was a chnace to discuss anything that i wanted to talk about. I also had monthly meetings with my director where we would discuss my progress/goals. I was given a constructive development plan to work with throughout the year.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
This varies depending on where you are in the finanical calendar/time of the month. Some weeks you are really busy with lots of different work to do and then others weeks are alot quieter with less work to do. In the quiet times you can always ask for more work if you wanted it.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
You are given alot of repsonsibility as soon as soon as you start your placement. I had my own projects/tasks that i had to do quarterly/monthly/weekly. You then gain more responisbility as time goes on as you pick up different tasks here and there throughout the year. You are responsibile for your own deadlines and making sure your own tasks are up to date.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
You learn alot of different skills over the year. Your excel skills will improve alot as this is what you are working on every day. You will develop people skills as you are interacting with your team and different people in the company every day either in person, over email, over the phone etc.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere in the office is really good. There are different activities going on all the time for all the different groups set up at disney. There are always different characters in the building for events and opportunites to get photos with them. Lots of themed meeting rooms and posters all over the building too.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
the structure of the internship is good as they have iterns every year. You have a week or 2 weeks handover with the previous intern, where you are taught everything you need to do. Then after that it is up to you to talk to your managers regarding development or different tasks you want to be involved in.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There isnt a lot of training. You have a handover week where the previous intern teaches you what you need to know. Development wise, its more in your hand and up to you to push for this.I had a development plan to follow, however i know other interns did not get this.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
After the internship you are not able to get offered a job because you need to go and gain various other qualifications. However, im sure if you wanted to come back and still had contacts in the company it would be easier to come back to the company after having had the internship here.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The interns organised a winter ball for all interns to attend. There are also lots of different interns in the company so easy to meet new people. There arent any organsied social events within the company, this just depends on whether you want to be social with the other interns or not.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Its in london so its expensive. I didnt live in the area i commuted from home so didnt have to pay rent for the year. However, train fares and rents are expesnive but you are able to find other interns needing to rent on a facebook page which you get added to.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Its is in london so there is always a lot to do. The offices are based in Hammersmith so im not sure how much to do there is around there. However, its about a half hour train to central london where there is a lot to do night life wise.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were different sporting activites to get involved in, such as Triathlons to do etc. You can also join the different groups that are set up within Disney eg. Pride, Women at Disney, TRUST etc. You also go out on team dinners occassionally or do things within your team.