1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I very much enjoyed my placement year! I found it to be a fantastic learning experience that really stretched my capabilities.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt very valued by colleagues as I was able to fulfill vital roles and deliver real value to IBM and the client.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Management was often more than happy to take time out of their day to explain any questions I had and the context around them, despite their busy schedules.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I did tend to be very busy on a daily basis, but this stretched my capacity and grew my work ethic and efficiency.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given significant responsibilities for what I expected as an intern, and could feed into and add value to delivery processes.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I developed in this role will assist me in ensuring that I am able to grasp new complicated concepts with much less difficulty, and will enhance my confidence and client-facing skills.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
My client office was fairly fun but also quite serious with a focus on hard work and delivery activities.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The overall work placement was very well set up, with significant support networks and opportunities to socialise.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There was a great emphasis on personal training and development, through the IBM training portal online as well as learning from more experienced colleagues.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employement prospects are very appealing for myself. Personally working in a position relatively similar and in close proximity to grads, the work they do and the culture of IBM is very exciting.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Whilst I was based on client-side and therefore not with many early professionals, there were strong social bonds with perhaps not as many opportunities to socialise as one may like.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
The cost of living and socialising where I worked was quite low.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife in the area I worked was not very prevalent.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes there were many opportunties to get involved in work which was outside the daily job which involved getting to know and work with other interns outside of my team to develop solutions.