Site Engineer at JN Bentley

Civil Engineering

3.9/5

3.9
3.9

I thoroughly enjoyed my work placement, there was plenty of variance in the work that I was doing and I got to experience a wide range of different projects and roles within civil engineering and work through various different stages of projects.

I felt valued and respected by my colleagues, that the work I did was valued and they were willing to help me learn and develop and become a more valuable colleague.

I was supported and guided with how my placement should go, and which different areas would be most useful and I felt like I could have gone to them for more support if I required it.

This would vary. Some days I would be very busy, others less so, this also depended on which role I was working in.

I was given a reasonable amount of responsibility, but nothing I was uncomfortable with.

It has been useful to be able to put some of the theory that I have learnt at university into practice, and develop it so in my further studies it should be easier. I also spent a lot of time on CAD which is something you are required to use at uni, but not taught how to use.

It was generally quiet, sometimes too quiet but everyone was friendly and we regularly went for drinks and to various social activities.

I did have some training in various different areas.

I lived at home for some of it as that was near enough to Leeds to be able to commute and then spent part of my placement living away whilst I was site based.

The Leeds nightlife is quite good.

There were various different football competitions between other offices and just within our own.