1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my work placement, there was plenty of variance in the work that I was doing and I got to experience a wide range of different projects and roles within civil engineering and work through various different stages of projects.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued and respected by my colleagues, that the work I did was valued and they were willing to help me learn and develop and become a more valuable colleague.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was supported and guided with how my placement should go, and which different areas would be most useful and I felt like I could have gone to them for more support if I required it.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
This would vary. Some days I would be very busy, others less so, this also depended on which role I was working in.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a reasonable amount of responsibility, but nothing I was uncomfortable with.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
It has been useful to be able to put some of the theory that I have learnt at university into practice, and develop it so in my further studies it should be easier. I also spent a lot of time on CAD which is something you are required to use at uni, but not taught how to use.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
It was generally quiet, sometimes too quiet but everyone was friendly and we regularly went for drinks and to various social activities.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I did have some training in various different areas.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home for some of it as that was near enough to Leeds to be able to commute and then spent part of my placement living away whilst I was site based.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The Leeds nightlife is quite good.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were various different football competitions between other offices and just within our own.