Mechanical intern at BMW Group

BMW Group is a Top Employer

7.5/10

5.2

Mechanical design

My role in the department was highly engaging and intensive. I had the opporutnity to learn so much through theory and application. Alongside extremely helpful colleagues, I always felt that I had input. The placement helped build my confidence and gave me plenty of experience that I will look to carry over to my studies.

I felt extremely valued by my colleagues. They were all very helpful when it came to answering my questions and I always felt I was learning something knew from them. I was assigned meaningful roles right from the start and so I had a big part to play in my department's projects.

I was given support and guidance by managementy/supervisor since before my internsihp started. They were laways in contact with me and made sure I was satisfied. Whenever I was unsure of anyhting my supervisors/colleagues were always there to help. The tasks assigned to me were very well structured and explained. The tasks were often accompanied by a future scope along with where the tasks fit in the bigger picture to give me a better idea of what I was working on.

I am always kept busy with different tasks to do. I have been assigned a primary project which I was working on every day alongside my colleagues who are also mechanical engineers. When I wasn't working on this, I always had something to keep my hands full such as documentation or meetings with colleagues.

Right form the start I was given responsibility. However, as my confidence grew and I started to prove myself, I slowly started to gain more and more responsibilities in various fields of work. I always felt that my work was important and had contributed to more than just personal development. I was often assigned important tasks and was relied upon to get them done to a high standard in a short period of time.

I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to develop all the skills I had been learning as part of my univeristy degree. This includes communication, where i was tasked with presenting my work to peers and colleagues from different countries and suppliers to giving weekly reports. My technical skills have also been drastically tested during this internship as I was always challenged in CAD, simulation software, design, manufacturing and more. The role had also opened my eyes to what I want to do in the future as a career path.

The general atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly. I am never scared to ask questions as my colleagues are always patient with me and are mindful where I may have weaknesses in some areas. They are always keen to help. Also since we had a relatively young team, we were all highly motivated and determined.

The internship was not organised very well. I had received my contract very late and did not receive any further information until very late. One of the previous interns had set up a manual/guide for new starters to get onboarded. As a result, the onboarding process was realtively smooth and easy.

In terms of verbal training, I received a large amount of help by my colleagues. However, I would have liked to have language courses included as part of my training but this was not allowed. The CAD training was based on e-learning (web based learning) and was ok in terms of learning new skills.

Not very high as the project I am working on will not be continued for long. However, I would love the opportunity to come back here as the company is a great place to work. The graduate retention prospects are quite low and in general not many interns receive offers to return.

The social scene was largely set up by a few interns who did a fantastic job of organising weekly social events and occasional group events. This included special events like parties, paintballing, pub crawling and festive dinners. My department also held frequent events such as team building ones or dinners.

Cost of living is quite high but that is to be expected of the city. The social aspect wa smuch better as there is a large student population. The housing is cheaper as you go away from the city centre. Since the plant is on the other side of the city centre this wasn't so much of an issue. But you do have less access to the shops and utilities found in the city centre.

Nightlife consisted of pubs and eating out. The city was quite limited when it comes to night life. There are some clubs however they are quite far from the area I worked. The area around the plant is not very busy and so most of the nightlife can be found in the city centre.

They were not many activites outside of work that was set up by the company. This largely consisted of the events organised by the interns. Some events the company held were great, including family day and Mini day. I would have liked to see events being held for visits to different plants and day trips however this was not planned.