Data Science Intern at BMW Group

Business Analytics Market Research Sales

BMW Group is a Top Employer

8.4/10

5.5

I couldn't have asked for a better internship. The work was varied, I learnt a lot right through to the end of my placement, and my team were wonderful. There is a big intern community and it just makes placement even better.
The culture, the company and the work meant that I thoroughly enjoyed my placement.

I felt like I was a valued team member, I felt as though I was appreciated and that my work was meaningful.

I couldn't have asked for a better manager for my placement year. He wanted me to get as much as possible out of my placement year, and there was a real focus on my learning and development. There was never a moment where I felt I couldn't as something because it seemed stupid.

Some days were very busy, and others were moderately so. I didn't ever feel bored, nor did I feel overwhelmingly stressed. It was a perfect balance; over the 12 months I was able to figure out how to come up with my own work, and also how to manage multiple tasks/projects at once.

I was given a good amount of responsibility: I had my own projects that I took charge of and I was given regular tasks that were my responsibility, but I never felt overwhelmed.

The skills and training I have received on my placement will help me massively through my final year of University, whilst providing a really solid foundation for the rest of my career.
E.g. I learnt R to an intermediate level. Not only will this help me in my fourth year with my Statistics modules, it will enable me to apply for job roles that require some degree of programming skills. And it is a technical skill that I continue to build on throughout my career.

Everyone is extremely friendly and willing to help, which makes for a lovely work atmosphere - I always felt comfortable.

The team I was in was very new, and I was the inaugural intern. This meant there wasn't an actual structure or plan for my internship, and I had to shape the role myself, to an extent. I enjoyed this as it allowed for a lot of freedom. And whilst my replacement will have a slightly better idea initially as to what to expect, it is an ever-evolving role so the structure won't ever be too rigid.

I was given the opportunity to do multiple courses to develop my coding skills, my analytical skills, and my Excel skills to name a few. I definitely felt as though my manager wanted to make sure I left my placement confident that I'd learnt as much as possible.

The Graduate Programme is incredible. However, the application process is the same regardless of whether or not you did a internship at the company.
The Grad Programme is extremely competitive.

The intern community is a good size and Goodwood is lovely in the summer so the social scene is great, especially if you end up living with fellow interns!
It's not just the interns either - a lot of employees play squash/badminton together regularly, and there are a lot of lovely pubs in Chichester!

Not as expensive as London, not as cheap as the North! Rent varies depending on your accommodation, I know people that pay £420-£550. Food wise, we have a number of supermarkets and restaurants including Sainburys, Wahaca and Taco Bell so the price is probably just the national average!

Chichester isn't known for it's nightlife! However, there is a university so there are a couple of good nights. And Portsmouth, Southampton and Brighton are all under an hour away by train.

Yes! As aforementioned, a lot of employees often play racket sports together. Departments often organise walks, hikes and cycles too. Chichester has a hockey team, multiple gyms and swimming pools too!