Parts Operations Intern within the Aftersales department.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I love cars, so this was an amazing experience, with a great team and great working environment.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt quite valued as I am regularly asked for help and answer questions on topics that I am responsible for. I am also the go-to person for database maintenance, as it is the interns job.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Help is always available, you just have to ask. Nobody is going to babysit you, so if you need help and guidance, go out and find it.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was busy when I first started. Now that I am nearing the end of my placement it has calmed down a bit. This may be due to the fact that I am now better at my job than I was, or maybe this time of year is quiet.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was immediately given lots of responsibility. Plenty of reports, and even my own project!
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills that I have developed here will help me tremendously when back at uni. I am now a much better organiser and I am also much better with technology than I was prior to this placement (Excel etc.). I also feel much more confident and understand how to be assertive, but in a diplomatic manner.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office would fluctuate between loud and lively, to quiet and serious many times throughout the day. To me, this is a nice balance. Sometimes you can have a chat and a laugh, but when it quietens down, it's time to crack on working.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was fairly well set up. Everything was ready for me on my first day, and I have not experienced any problems since working here.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I have been left to get on with my responsibilities. Help is there if I need it but there has not been any training available to me. I would have liked to have been involved in some training days/courses.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Being an intern here bodes well for future employment, but it does not promise a job here. If you wanted to come back (nine times out of ten) you apply to the grad scheme. Very rarely are jobs available directly after an internship.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes. There have been plenty of meals, socials etc. with both interns, and other colleagues in my department. All have been good fun, and the staff are a great bunch of people.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Living costs are quite pricey (however I am originally from Yorkshire so everything is expensive to me) but West Sussex is a lovely area and is very scenic. Nights out are not too expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There is only one club within Chichester. There is not a "city-like" night life here. The town is dead by 11:30pm!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
My colleagues arranged many activities and they have all been enjoyable. I will be very sad to say goodbye when it is time for me to leave!