Mechanical design intern at BMW Group

Engineering

BMW Group is a Top Employer

7.5/10

4.8

Design and simulation of electric vehicle

My role in the department was highly engaging and intensive. I had the opporutnity to learn so much through theory and application. Alongside extremely helpful colleagues, I always felt that I had input. The placement helped build my confidence and gave me plenty of experience that I will look to carry over to my studies.

I felt extremely valued by my colleagues. They were all very helpful when it came to answering my questions and I always felt I was learning something knew from them.

I was given support and guidance by managementy/supervisor since before my internsihp started. They were laways in contact with me and made sure I was satisfied.

I am always kept busy with different tasks to do. I have been assigned a primary project which I am wokring on every day alongside my colleagues who are also mechanical engineers. This opportunity has allowed to learn so much form them.

Right form the start I was given responsibility. However, as my ocnfidence grew and I started to prove myself, I slowly started to gain more and more responsibilities in various fields of work. I always felt that my work was important and had contributed to more than just personal development.

I developed all the skills I had been learning as part of my univeristy degree. This includes communication, where i was tasked with presenting my work to peers and colleagues from different countries and suppliers to giving weekly reports. My technical skills have also been drastically tested during this internship as I was always challenged in CAD, simulation software, design, manufacturing and more.

The general atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly. I am never scared to ask questions as my colleagues are always patient with me and are mindful where I may have weaknesses in some areas. They are always keen to help.

The internship was not organised very well. I had receivedmy contract very late and did not receive any further information until very late.

In terms of verbal training, I received a large amount of help by my colleagues. However, I would have liked to have language courses included as part of my training but this was not allowed. The CAD training was based on e-learning (web based learning) and was ok in terms of learning new skills.

Not very high as the project I am working on will not be continued for long. However, I would love the opportunity to come back here.

The social scene was largely set up by a few interns who did a fantastic job of organising weekly social events and occasional group events.

Cost of living is quite high but that is to be expected of the city. The social aspect wa smuch better as there is a large student population.

Nightlife consisted of pubs and eating out. The city was quite limited when it comes to night life.

They were not many activites outside of work that was set up by the company. This largely consisted of the events organised by the interns. Some events the company held were great, including family day and Mini day.