1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My role in the department was highly engaging and intensive. I had the opporutnity to learn so much through theory and application. Alongside extremely helpful colleagues, I always felt that I had input. The placement helped build my confidence and gave me plenty of experience that I will look to carry over to my studies.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt extremely valued by my colleagues. They were all very helpful when it came to answering my questions and I always felt I was learning something knew from them.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given support and guidance by managementy/supervisor since before my internsihp started. They were laways in contact with me and made sure I was satisfied.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I am always kept busy with different tasks to do. I have been assigned a primary project which I am wokring on every day alongside my colleagues who are also mechanical engineers. This opportunity has allowed to learn so much form them.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Right form the start I was given responsibility. However, as my ocnfidence grew and I started to prove myself, I slowly started to gain more and more responsibilities in various fields of work. I always felt that my work was important and had contributed to more than just personal development.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I developed all the skills I had been learning as part of my univeristy degree. This includes communication, where i was tasked with presenting my work to peers and colleagues from different countries and suppliers to giving weekly reports. My technical skills have also been drastically tested during this internship as I was always challenged in CAD, simulation software, design, manufacturing and more.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly. I am never scared to ask questions as my colleagues are always patient with me and are mindful where I may have weaknesses in some areas. They are always keen to help.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was not organised very well. I had receivedmy contract very late and did not receive any further information until very late.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
In terms of verbal training, I received a large amount of help by my colleagues. However, I would have liked to have language courses included as part of my training but this was not allowed. The CAD training was based on e-learning (web based learning) and was ok in terms of learning new skills.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Not very high as the project I am working on will not be continued for long. However, I would love the opportunity to come back here.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The social scene was largely set up by a few interns who did a fantastic job of organising weekly social events and occasional group events.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost of living is quite high but that is to be expected of the city. The social aspect wa smuch better as there is a large student population.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nightlife consisted of pubs and eating out. The city was quite limited when it comes to night life.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
They were not many activites outside of work that was set up by the company. This largely consisted of the events organised by the interns. Some events the company held were great, including family day and Mini day.