Enterprise Applications Analyst at IBM

Business Analytics Business Management Information Technology Marketing

IBM is a Top Employer

8.1/10

It has been an extremely enlightening insight into the corporate business world. I had far more responsibility than I imagined and therefore the outcomes and results were far better.

I would recommend this placement to any young early professional looking for a placement

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 7 roles at IBM

Worked with a number of great people in a company that has a strong collaborative emphasis surrounding their work.

My task manager and EPM were always looking for opportunities for me to get stuck into, the network I developed meant I could turn to a number of different people for advice, assistance and support

You are kept relatively busy, however how busy you were often peaked and troughed dependent on the business calendar, how soon deadlines were and importance of work

I had a great amount of responsibility which increased as the year went on, towards the end of my placement, I was extremely independent and this was down to dealing with high levels of responsibility and understanding how to cope in these situations. As mentioned before, there is a great support barrier for you through out the year but especially early on in the year.

Completely invaluable experience

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 7 roles at IBM

It was usually good, not overly vibrant all the time but it certainly wasn't strict silence and no fun. Often, the office atmosphere would be dictated by quarter ends and targets set.

There were also a number of opportunities to network over coffee or drinks which certainly improves the atmosphere

Extremely well thought out, the team organising the induction sessions and placement years as a whole have clearly spent an awful amount of time developing the process to run as smoothly as possible. The two day induction certainly settles nerves and allows you to familiarise with surroundings

Given that you take the opportunities that are available to you, IBM do a fantastic job at investing in their people. There are compulsory traiing courses you have to do, however there are thousands of online training courses whereby you can earn qualifications specific to IBM or in other areas, you can then post these to your LinkedIn to show your capabilities off.

IBM offer programmes that allow you to become a fully qualified consultant over two years whilst being employed full time. Here you have opportunities to work on exciting projects, for great clients and get to understand how the business operates on both a national and international scale. I have applied to be part of this after University.

As there is well in excess of 100 of placement students, the social scene is very prevalent, obviously in the office work came first, however at lunch and after work, myself and colleagues would always find time to socialise. As we are all in the same boat, your placement colleagues were very open to assisting you and vice versa

Being based in London, it is quite a shock to the system but you learn to budget, you find cheaper places to shop and socialise. Living in central London, rent is also quite pricey, however if this is a concern, IBM have offices all around the country.

The nightlife around us was good, however because of how easy and cheap it is to travel on tubes and buses, you can go to really cool places very easily.

Ultimately yes, again, if you wanted to make the most out of these opportunities, it was up to you to look for them and get involved