1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I found the year at Travelport very enjoyable. They hire a large number of interns which creates a good environment as there a plenty of you going through the placement process. There is also plenty of work and brilliant opportunities to get involved in both within your teams and with the intern group as a whole.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
All year I have felt very valued by my colleagues. I have had been involved in key discussions with my points being taken into consideration and implemented into the way the team worked. I was always asked to get involved in key projects that had high value and my colleagues were always asking for my input and views.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given good support by managers and Travelport has an excellent mentor scheme for any additional support that you might want. They will help you to get involved in areas of the business you are interested in as well as help you in your role. They have always been more than willing to help with development and with guidance or questions you have about anything they are able to help with.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I found I was always busy enough and when work is quiet you are able to get involved in projects outside your role as well as shadow other roles in the business. There is always work to do if you want it and long/short term projects to get involved in.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had a change of manager since starting and as a result I went from helping to run a product to becoming the product manger with a good level of support from my manager and team. I have been trusted to interact with customers to demo the product and help run reports and resolve issues for them. This interaction shows just how much responsibility you are given.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have learnt a lot over the year as there have been a few personal development sessions some of which have helped with my presentation skills and the way in which I learn. I have also grown in confidence and my ability to interact with customers and other individuals has improved dramatically which will have endless benefits moving forward.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Always people to talk to and discussions to be had. The product area is hot desking so it was great to meet new people and have interesting and engaging discussions.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Travelport has a very well organised placement set-up and has done it for a few years. There is a 3 week handover which has great benefits getting to learn from the previous set of interns and throughout the year the interns run events and projects to help get them exposure to key figures in the company
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Monthly development and training sessions on a variety of topics helped develop specific skills were run by the HR team which were very beneficial. You also get training on any software you use for your role and can sign up for sessions on other tools to help develop your skills further
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I am already coming back next year for a few days a week while working from university. There are also plenty of previous interns working at the company so the prospects are good for finding future work whether it be while your at university or in the years to follow
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
This year there was a group of 18 of us that created a very good social scene. Always a group of us having lunch together and regular events/nights out if you wanted to participate but there was never any pressure if you didnt want to.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
N/A - Lived at home
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nightlife around the office isn't great but easy access to Windsor, Reading and London meant a night out was never far away. There are a few pubs around the office but most of the time we ended up round one of the intern houses to have drinks and food and plan if we wanted to go out
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Travelport social club gives discounts on tickets and travelport run events such as go karting, cirque du soleil, comedy clubs and a few other things