I manage the commercial side of construction with my responsibilities ranging from managing project payments to contract law or procurement.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have thoroughly enjoyed my industrial placement year here at Mace, so much so that I am extending my contract end date from June to September, just before I return back to university.
It has been an amazing experience for me to expand my knowledge as well as broaden my network to assist with my career post graduation.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I get along very well with my colleagues in which has definitely added to the enjoyment of work and has made me look forward to going to work every day. I feel valued by my colleagues also as they don't treat me like a student just out on placement but as a full time employee just like the rest of them and I have been given the responsibility of one also.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My colleagues / supervisor(s) have been extremely supportive and have assisted me in consistently bettering my understanding and knowledge everyday. They have always told me to ask as many questions as possible and they have always helped answer in which has definitely had a large impact in my development here at Mace.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There have been times where I have been very busy but I would rather keep busy than being bored doing nothing. Overall it has been very balanced and I have always had something to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I have been pleasantly surprised by how much responsibility I have been given whilst on my year out. Mace and my line manager have made sure that I have got as much exposure to the real working environment as possible. In my time here I have felt like a full time employee and they treat me like one too.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Not only have I had a vast number of training sessions/days but I have also been learning every single day on the job. It has not only taught knowledge and skills to take back to university but also going forward in my career after my graduation.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Within my first few days here my project director pulled me aside and told me that he believes in a work hard, play hard philosophy in the team. This has been consistent throughout my placement and makes work life in the office not only helping in aiding my learning but also very enjoyable. The team get on like the closest of friends and family; it's been a great environment to work in.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The overall work placement has been very well organized; from set training and development days, to assignments and charity events.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Since being at the company, Mace have invested what has felt like a lot in me; from numerous training days, paying for my travel and also having my very own Mace PPE. It's been great.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
Healthcare from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I have been offered a place to come back to Mace on the Graduate Development scheme and I could not be happier about coming back after university.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We went out regularly for drinks and even completed the Tough Mudder 2019 challenge together for charity, in which the Mace Foundation actually matched the number we raised.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Working in London can be expensive but I imagine living in London would be more expensive. That being said it did have its perks and I definitely would not change it for a thing.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Going out socially after work with colleagues is always fun. Everyone gets on extremely well and they always have something fun and different lined up in London.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
From charity events to socializing, my office and team that I worked in were always doing activities outside of work on near a weekly basis.