DevOps Engineer at IBM

Preston North West
Computer Science

IBM is a Top Employer

7.9/10

Maintaining DevOps Tools for Application Development Teams, and configuring their workflows. Also, configuring a new help desk system for our account.

This job has been enjoyable because I met a good number of new friends. There is plenty of opportunity to socialise outside of work and the work itself is enjoyable if you care about it.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 7 roles at IBM

Everyone sees your value when you contribute, so this down to how much you get involved and work hard.

Help is definitely there but you may need to reach out. I reached out to my manager about extra learning/shadowing and he provided/helped me secure this.

For me, I was not very busy for the first few months, but once I took ownership of my own responsibilities I became much more busy and enjoyed the days more.

I was given a good amount of responsibility to help rethink some of our team's processes, which I also helped to configure and automate in a project management / help desk tool.

The soft skills I have developed this year, alongside the confidence I have gained, and the extra employability from learning some technical skills will aid me in all walks of life.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 7 roles at IBM

The general atmosphere in my office was friendly but sometimes quiet. This all depends on your own personality and who you want to talk to!

I did not seem to have much of a plan at the beginning but that was because my role did not exist before I arrived. I grew into this and there was enough support and feedback to structure my year.

I was encouraged all the time to better my own skills through the learning portal, lunch and learns, and was given time for my own development.

Future employment prospects are very appealing to me with IBM. This is because there is a very flexible and inclusive culture where you can express what part of the business you would like to get into.

My fellow placement students were lovely and we made a great group of friends! Only downside was location of our office for after-work socialising, but this is obviously not a problem if you work in a city.

It was pretty cheap to eat/socialise.

I personally never went out in Preston.

IBM has endless opportunities for extra learning and socialising.