Placement Software Developer at PCMS Group

Coventry West Midlands
Computer Science

7.3/10

I very much enjoyed my time at PCMS. Most of the time I was kept busy with interesting work and problems to solve. There were periods where work went quiet, but I always found something to do, whether that was work for my team or the placement project towards the end of my placement.

I felt very valued by my team during my placement as I was given tasks just like any other member of my team would be. I have made some good friends at PCMS who I would like to keep in touch with after my placement.

The support I was given at PCMS was generally very good. The teams I worked in were good at helping me resolve any blockers I may have had and I was assigned a mentor in each time I had worked in, who were very helpful and knowledgeable.

I was mostly kept busy during my placement. There were quiet times, but I used this time to learn about technologies used at PCMS and how parts of the system worked, so I also enjoyed these quiet times.

I was given as much responsibility as any other developer on my team, and I was made to feel as useful to the team as anybody else.

The skills I learned at PCMS gave me a real insight into real world agile development, and gave me a good knowledge of technology such as Maven, Jenkins, Google Cloud Platform, and many more which I never really had to use at University. As a result, I feel like I have became a more professional developer.

The general atmosphere is relaxed. You feel free to have conversations with work colleagues, grab a cup of tea, etc.

The placement was generally well organised. Half way through our placement, myself and other placement students swapped team half way through the year. I went from a "product" team, which focused on the core product which PCMS sells rather than customer specific development, to a customer facing team. This was trouble free and gave us more insight into the software developed at PCMS.

I had a mentor assigned to me in each of the teams I were in, and both were very helpful and knowledgeable. I managed to carry out some independent learning during quiet times, but there were not much time dedicated to educating placement students about the structure of the applications, it was more learning it as you go along. Towards the end of my placement, I was given credits to carry out some courses on QwikLabs which allowed me to learn about the Google Cloud Platform.

Employment prospects at PCMS seem promising and I'd enjoy working for them in the future if given the opportunity.

Students and colleagues were fairly sociable. We went out for food and drinks a few times.

Coventry isn't a very expensive place to live, fairly average priced.

Nightlife in Coventry may not be the best, but there are a few pubs and clubs, such as the Kasbah.

Colleagues at PCMS regularly did activities such as go karting. My favourite activity outside of work was the Christmas party, which was very good.