1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I have thoroughly enjoyed my placement year at L'Oreal. I've learned so much and its made me decide that marketing is definitely the career for me! The amount of responsibility I've been given as an intern has been incredible. I've been given my own projects to lead and to see something you've created in store and online and knowing you've contributed to the success of the brand is an amazing feeling. Would definitely recommend!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
One of the things that surprised me was the amount of responsibility I have been given as an intern. I felt highly valued, my team really valued my opinions and often asked for my input. You really are treated as a key member of the team!
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
During my placement year I had 3 different line managers and by the end of the year my team had changed so much that now I'm one of the longest standing members! I did find the instability hard to deaI with at times but everyone was so supportive I knew there was always someone to ask. I was definitely thrown in at the deep end at times and expected to manage projects on my own, but I'm so grateful that I was as this is what helped me to learn so much!
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was told at the beginning of my placement that at L'Oreal you shouldn't be swimming and shouldn't be drowning but should be treading water. This is definitely true, there are very high expectations of interns that comes with a high work load but if you want to learn as much as possible and get the most out of your years placement, this is a good thing! I've done so much this year to be proud of!
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As I've already said a huge amount! You really are a key member of the team, not just an intern!
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I've learned are endless! Communication, professionalism, time management, prioritisation, analytical skills, thinking strategically, creative and out of the box thinking...all skills that will help me in my future career!
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Super friendly and supportive. Everyone is really passionate about what they do, which makes it such a fun and interesting place to work!
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was very well organised, from start to finish everything has been organised perfectly. Having an intern committee is something L'Oreal has that sets it apart from some other placements.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
My team have been super supportive in investing their time to teach me things. They really wanted me to succeed! L'Oreal also has great training courses which you can enrol yourself in to learn more. I was also given so many opportunities to run projects that allowed me to develop myself.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very! I've applied for the Graduate scheme, I really don't want to leave!
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
The intern committee organised some great socials, however these were not very frequent.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
London is expensive but a great place to live as there is so much to do!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
It's London, the nightlife is fantastic! There are also lots of work socials which are so much fun!
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?