1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement year. I feel as though I've matured on a professional level, and learnt valuable lessons that can't be taught in a classroom.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My team were very supportive throughout the year. They were patient with me whilst I was still learning about the brand, and trust me with managing wide-scale projects from start to finish.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager always tried to provide guidance where possible, and when it was not part of their area of expertise, my manager signposted me to the relevant person to help with my query.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
In the beginning of the internship, I would say that the work load was average. Towards the end, as I've been tasked with bigger projects, my work load subsequently increased as well.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As my knowledge of the brand and business increased, I was given more responsibility.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Training sessions provided by L'Oreal were very insightful, with a wide range of topics and skill sets to choose from. These learning sessions will definitely be useful for my degree.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The general atmosphere in the office is very lively and fun. It's common to go for coffee breaks during the day, but the conversation usually turns to work at some point, for a productive break.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement year was very organised. However, I wish the scientific and legal training sessions were scheduled earlier in the placement, as I ended up learning everything on the job before the sessions took place.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
L'Oreal has a fantastic personal development and training culture, with over 100+ courses to book onto, to help further your professional expertise.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There are suitable options for future employment within L'Oreal, although it would be great if we were given more information such as best practices and examples from previous candidates.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We have an Intern committee who organised quarterly social events, and I attended frequent social interns events created within my division.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Hammersmith has many restaurant options, for an out of office lunch or even an after work event.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Hammersmith has a couple pubs, but you would need to travel somewhere else closer to Zone 1 for good nightlife.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are a lot of committees/clubs in L'Oreal, and some clubs created by the Intern Committee, however I did not get involved in these.