Quantity Surveyor within the Housing and Regeneration Sector
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Loved it, the work was good, people very accommodating and also very supportive. I was challenged and also learnt a great deal.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt incredibly valued, they trusted me with important parts of work and did not miss me out on any of the social events either.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager (s) would always test my knowledge which was sometimes hard, but rewarding as well! They would make me do presentations on what I had learnt which would also help my presentation skills.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Some days were busier than others, however that is the nature of the construction industry, especially within consultancy. Other days were so busy, it was a nice balance.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
A great amount, but I always felt like I could ask someone for support/help, which was really good.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The modules in my final year are centered around what I have learnt during my placement, so that will help a great amount. As well as this, there is a lot of information available to help me in my final year of studies.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Really good, the place is generally busy but I felt very comfortable straight away, with people being friendly and helpful. However, it was hard working as well.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Well organised, where there would be quarterly placement sessions centered around our development, which was good.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
A great amount to be honest, the company would show Events and development sessions I could attend, to improve my knowledge around certain areas.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Very appealing, I would love to return and they are happy to accommodate for me.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Not so amongst the placement students, but definitely for my colleagues and I.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Central London is expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Central London is class.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There is a dining club which I never took part in, as well as a golf day