1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My placement gave me the opportunity to explore lots of different parts of Mace which helped me understand them as a company and greatly benefited my skill set and confidence. I have really enjoyed due to these opportunities.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt valued by each team I worked in. They always valued my opinions in discussions and made me feel like I was of great help to the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My line manager never turned me away when I needed to talk to him. Generally even senior staff make time for you if you need it.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
This varied from being flat out all day to periods of time where I had very little.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I had plenty of responsibility however you do need to push for more as I don't think it would just fall at your feet. Once you show you can handle tasks you will get trusted with more.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My experience with BIM will be very helpful as I can select BIM modules next year. Additionally I now have a much better understanding of the management role which is also a module I can take. My time organization has improved and my general used of word and excel will be forever useful.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The people here are friendly and focused. Most people would be approachable if you needed help.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It didn't appear that there was much of a plan for me. I worked on my initial project but as that closed out I would have had very little to do had I not pushed for more.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There are many opportunities for professional development. You can enroll in classes wherever you want to and there is always an upcoming class list up on infomace.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There is a popular graduate programme and sponsorship opportunities to those who do well both of which are very appealing.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I was based at Mace head office in Moorgate where there were very few placement students surprisingly. I spent a lot of time outside of work with team members and friends I made along the way though.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Being central London the cost of socialising was big but its worth it to get to know people.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Very good, lots of bars and good people to go with
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?