Environment, Health and Safety at GE (General Electric)

Cheltenham South West
Environmental

8.6/10

I monitored various plants around the sites including the noise, exhaust ventilation and environmental output from the paint booths. I assisted in first aid situations, advising people on the best/safest route to take if they ask for advice on anything. There's lots of things to get stuck in to which keeps you busy, this could be from doing administration on the computer to taking external visitors around site.

I worked with an amazing team in Environmental, health and safety in GE. I enjoyed the tasks they gave me, especially the variety of them!

I was never not included in something. I was not seen as an intern, just as another member of the team which was a great feeling. The work i did often had high importance to it so I knew my team trusted me with delivering results.

Every team member, even from other teams was more than willing to help and show you things. Having a very helpful teamed helped me get to my feet when I first started.

Every day I had something to do. Sometimes I would make a to do list at the start of the day and wouldn't complete any of it due to more significant, unplanned exercises presenting themselves on the day. I really enjoyed the unpredictability.

I was responsible for sending out weekly presentations to leadership, presenting results to external visitors/companies, sometimes managning external companies who came in to do work. I was definitely responsible for a lot of things which I had to keep on top of.

I have definitely improved on my communication between a large variety of people, even the smaller things. Leading people, writing to people, being part of a team. The use of new programs on the computer. Although health and safety is not related to my degree which is geology based, I have learnt an awful lot which will help me in the future.

Everyone was always working hard, as a team. Great positive energy and people to be surrounded by, when working in the office.

Many interns were hired at the site I was at. This gave us opportunities to network between ourselves inside and outside of work. We were also fortunate enough to do a STEM project together. Personally, the work placement was very well organised, my files and computer were set up quickly and I was able to get stuck in. My manager gave me a clear vision of my work scope in my first week.

I was able to attend multiple training courses, first aid, fire marshall, Internationally recognised health and safety certificate and an additional training day for a specific project I was working on.

Very appealing, GE is very flexible within the company too, so you can get a feel for a lot of roles.

Yes, having approximately 25 interns, we were able to work together, help each other out on a regular basis. Then outside of work we would often meet up.

As GE give a very good wage to interns, the salary enabled me to comfortably pay my bills, run a car, get food and make savings with money to spare at the end of the month. Cheltenham is a more expensive place to live than nearby areas, although if you look hard enough you can get the best of both with good pricing and very nice housing. Just have a good look around before you commit to something.

I didn't go out that often...but when I did I had a great time, lots of people out at the weekends so there is a great atmosphere.

Yes, if you search around for local clubs in your sport/activity of choice, there is always something and always people who enjoy them as much as you!