Channel Distribution Intern at The Walt Disney Company

Hammersmith Greater London
Financial Management Media Sales Market Research Marketing Sales Telecommunications

6.4/10

7.7
4.8

6.5

I was tasked with supporting the sales team in negotiating and renegotiating new deals with clients. This involved strategy based on data I had consolidated and analysed.

This job was difficult to settle in to. However after 3/4 months I was able to find my feet and develop good relationships with my team members and managers. The middle 6 month period was a brilliant period of development for myself personally and a time when I really enjoyed the work.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 20 roles at The Walt Disney Company

The team were extremely generous with their time in terms of teaching me about the business and specifically what our team does. I was included in all the team discussions, many of which contained sensitive information which the team felt able to include me in - these meetings gave me a great insight into the company and how different strategies were implemented.

The team would often go out of their way to explain things to me about different lines of business or how our specific department worked. They were generous with their time in terms of teaching me new skills at the beginning of the placement and would actively discuss aspects of university life with me and how I might achieve the best degree mark possible.

This tended to fluctuate depending on the activity of the team. There were periods when I was very busy but also periods when I had very little work to do due to changes going on within the company.

I was given a reasonable amount of responsibility. Certain projects were given to me and were 100% my responsibility. Other tasks however were carefully monitored by my managers - however this, understandably, reduced over time and in the final few months those sorts of projects were given to me with very little supervision.

My excel and powerpoint skills have dramatically improved whilst on my placement. The importance of consistency and detail, as well as the requirements of deal negotiation, are other skills I have learned. I think these types of things are very important for my university studies and also my career in the future.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 20 roles at The Walt Disney Company

The atmosphere tended to be poor. This was not helped by the impending merger of our company with another large company in the same industry. There seemed to be no effort by management to try to improve the office atmosphere. This was the general feeling of other interns i worked with.

Very well organised. I was given plenty of support and information both during and after the internship.

They continuously emphasised the fact that I was there to develop myself personally and were quick to explain that they were very committed to helping me achieve that.

• There were no perks with this Placement Year

Bleak. There are many lay offs in the pipeline due to the recent merger and currently a hiring freeze in my department. Perhaps in several years but I'm not sure there will be much/ any opportunity within the next 3 years. Although they have no graduate scheme, they do tend to hire back ex-interns as they are familiar with the Disney system.

Partly. There were over 200 interns on my placement and we were all put into a social media group which we could use to connect with each other and make plans inside and outside of work. There were no official events organised to connect us with other interns which seemed strange.

Not unreasonably high.

There are a lot of bars around the office and the Thames is a 2 minute walk away with even more bars there. In the summer the after work scene is very good.

They run a very good volunteering scheme. This is good for seeing other parts of the business and also for connecting with other interns and staff members, and of course for investing time in worthwhile causes. Other than that there didn't seem to be any events that emphasised getting to know people outside of your team.