Blockline Quality Placement Student at Cummins

Daventry West Midlands
Business Management Engineering Mathematics/Statistics Mechanical Engineering

Cummins is a Top Employer

7.1/10

Working as a Placement Student at Cummins can be both challenging and rewarding. It is a fast-paced company with a wide scope, which allows students to highlight areas for improvement and begin major projects of their own choosing. I have very much enjoyed my time here and would recommend it to anyone with a keen interest in engineering.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 5 roles at Cummins

I feel very valued by my team. I have a good working relationship with everyone in my office and am often asked to help with different projects. I am relied upon to complete my tasks to a good standard and within a set time-frame with little supervision. This makes me feel less of a student and more of a team member.

My experience has been that managers will usually give you a task and a deadline and then leave you to it. Generally, any background information or technical help I have needed I have looked for myself though asking my colleagues questions or searching the internet. However, if I should need it, my managers are happy to spare some time to walk me through a task to ensure I have a good understanding of the issue.

I have several daily and weekly tasks. This can vary from data collection and manipulation to generating reports and hosting supplier meeting (both in person and via Skype). I also have been given project work to do. Projects can be as short as a week long, however my current project has been running for a number of months. If ever I should find I have a dip in my workload, I can usually help a colleague with something.

I have been entrusted to compile data and generate reports on a weekly basis since I began at the company. These are critical tasks which can cause a large amount of disruption if done incorrectly or late. I believe this, as well as numerous other examples, shows how much my team values and trusts me as a student. I have been treated as a normal member of the team since day one, and as such have several responsibilities that I must keep on top of.

I have learnt a great deal during my time at Cummins. I've developed my software skills considerably and have learnt to use new softwares which are prolific in the industry. I have also learnt a lot about project and time management; how to use Gant charts and other techniques to manage projects are efficiently report on them to managers. In addition to engineering-centric things, I have also learnt about the business side of the company and how finance plays a big role in the day-to-day running of the plant.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 5 roles at Cummins

The atmosphere in my office can be very informal. There is plenty of light-hearted teasing and humor amongst the team. Additionally, there are always snacks and cakes being bought in too. However, it can become quite busy and focused.

My placement was very well organized. There was a short training period at the beginning of my placement and I was shown around the line. Then, I was given a number of daily/weekly tasks and a long term project. I am asked to report the progress of this project at a weekly meeting with senior colleagues at the plant. I have also been given the opportunity to have some external training.

Cummins have invested a great deal of time in my personal development. During my placement, I was given the opportunity to receive some CMM training from another company. Cummins paid for me to attend this week long course with some colleagues, and afterwards I was given the time to practice with the software with guidance from my manager.

I would very much like to earn a Graduate role within the company. I enjoy the atmosphere and variety of work available. Additionally, the company makes an active effort to help employees improve their skills and expand their knowledge base.

Yes, there are often small events and get-togethers amongst the students. Lunch and break-times are also a good time to catch up with other students in different departments.

Rent in the area isn't too bad. Living with other placement students helps reduce costs through car-sharing. There are plenty of pubs and bars in the area and surrounding towns. Coventry and Birmingham are also near by if you enjoy a night out.

There are plenty of pubs and bars in the area and surrounding towns. Coventry and Birmingham are also near by if you enjoy a night out. Plenty of placement students actually lived in Coventry and commuted to Daventry each day.

The company has several clubs open to all.