My main tasks are to price the holidays for the brochures, to check and sign off brochure pages for the area in which i cover, to choose which hotels will be put under which brand e.g. Thomson or First Choice or whether they should be dropped from the program or new hotels added.
Daily tasks include making sure systems are up to date, checking sales for your geographical area, answering queries from agents
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
A really good job with proper things to do rather than the tea making. You feel like you are really contributing to the company and i have also had the opportunity to travel through working here.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I very much felt SPECIAL working for TUI Travel, every employee is valued.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager was very good and helped me with any problems as well as understanding that i was on placement so had university work to complete so was given a bit of time to do that during work hours.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had things to do which was good because i do not like being bored, very good balance and vairety of work to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of resposiblity during my placement at TUI Travel. I was given areas to look after and it was my responsibility to make sure the day to day running was correct. I was also able to be part of big decisions that were being made for my areas e.g. new concepts for hotels, this included visiting the hotels abroad
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
In have definitely been given the chance to see what a real job is like and i have been given many opportunities in learning and development courses etc that will prepare for what is next.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
A very young, socialable company, enjoyed coming to work
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very well organised to say it is the first year it has ever been done, good training before we had to start the job.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I was given the opportunity to complete all the courses that the learning and development offered as well as going abroad to visit hotels to assist in my day to day job
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I future job with TUI Travel would very much appeal to me
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Very good social scene including meals and nights out, bowling and cinema. Tried to do things at least a couple of times a month
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Cost of living fairly cheap, much cheaper than living in London and only 30 mins by train to get into the centre of London. Socialising in Luton very cheap, some of the surrounding areas slightly more expensive.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There is a nightlife in Luton which is ok but there are also surrounding areas with good nightlife such as Hitchin and also London is too far to go
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are plenty of sports clubs around the area that you can join and there is probably many other activities to get involved in