Gain feedback from customers through a variety of surveys and acting upon the feedback to improve services offered. Analyse the air, hospitality and car rental market and provide valuable insights.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The work that I carried out throughout my internship was varied and different each day. In the Customer Experience role, there were set surveys that had to be sent out during the year, but in the Market Intelligence role, I worked on several ad hoc projects for different teams at Travelport.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone in the team treated me like an actual employee, not just an intern. Whenever i had an opinion or a new idea, it was listened to and took into consideration. I was given as much responsibility as a regular employee would get and I was trusted from the beginning.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
The support that I received from my manager was amazing. She would set up regular catch up sessions where i could tell her about any issues i was facing, both in my work and my personal life. We were also allocated a mentor to help us settle in our internship.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
As most of the work that I did was ad hoc, there were some days where i would do general research about the industry or work on my university assignments. However, the work that i was given by my team had to be prioritized over any other work given by other departments.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given a lot of responsibility during my placement. Whenever I had to do a project, my manager let me interpret the task, do my own research and trusted me that i can deliver the work to a high standard. She would always check up on the work I was doing, to make sure I was comfortable with it before sending it out.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have developed many skills and gained a lot of experience from my placement. I think some of the skills i developed are: confidence, communication, attention to detail, analytical skills and resilience. They will all help me in my future studies and will be make me more employable, by giving me an advantage over other candidates.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Being sat next to the marketing team, it helped me meet more people, socialise with them and build my contact network. Everyone is really helpful, enthusiastic about their job and open to have a chat whenever you need it. The atmosphere was fun, even when we had to hand in a piece of work.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The internship was organised well, with many onboarding sessions which helped us settle in. We also had development sessions which helped us develop our skills. The job descriptions could be more detailed and provide more information to give interns a better idea of the work that they could get involved in.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I believe that Travelport has a good scheme in place to keep in contact with former interns and they organise various alumni events. Also, managers keep in contact with interns through a variety of channels, such as: emails and Linkedin and job opportunities are made available if there are any.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Compared to university houses, living in Slough/Langley area is much cheaper. However, there aren't that many things to do in the area, but there are other towns nearby, such as: Windsor, Reading or London that provide you with plenty of activities and things to do. I wish the office was surrounded by shops.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
As mentioned above, there aren't many things to do in the area. Therefore, nightlife is out of the question in slough/langley. However, there is a bowling place towards heathrow airport that is open until late. For nightlife, the best places to go are either Reading or London, where you find a variety of clubs/pubs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
As interns, we had to raise money for two charities and we did this by organising different events outside work, such as: a 22 mile walk, tough mudder competition, santa run, etc. This helped us bond with the other interns, raise money and have fun at the same time. Also, Travelport offers a social club which organises evenings out, such as: comedy nights, quizzes, etc.