Insight Student at Savills

Bristol West Midlands
Market Research Property/Real Estate

Savills is a Top Employer

8.9/10

Insight student within the development team at Savills Bristol.

I have had a great time on the Savills Insight Programme.
Everyone in the office is very friendly and approachable. Any questions I have asked have been answered and explained to me.
There are so many aspects to property in Savills and I enjoyed having experience in each aspect of property, (E.g. development, valuation, planning...ext.)

I have always had something to do while I was at the Savills Insight programme, when ever I would finish a task there would always be something else for me to do. For each task I would always receive some form of feedback and be able to improve it, or know where I had gone wrong.

My mentor and other employees at Savills have given me a lot of support when I needed it. They would answer and explain any questions or queries that I had. If they didn't know the answer to one of my questions I was always guided to someone else in the office who did.

In every aspect of what I have done here, I can apply knowledge from my year at university. On top of this, I have gained knowledge which I can now use and reference within my future studies at university. Seeing what I have learnt being applied on site visits and valuations has also helped me understand my subjects at university a lot more.

The insight programme was very well structured. Having access to Outlook Calendars lets you know what you have and when it is. My only criticism of this it that not everything was put on the calendar and I was caught out once or twice by things. However, this was fine as I am always up for new experiences.

As previously mentioned, everyone in the office is very friendly and approachable. All are willing to answer questions about either themselves and what they do or just a question from me about what I was doing at the time. I feel having such friendly and approachable staff within Savills really helps communications skills develop, of which I can apply to any other work experience I may get in the future.

Savills know that I am a first year student and gave me work which I could already handle. I feel that it would be difficult to fit in training and development with this programme as it is only a week long.
I have still developed my skills however as the tasks I have been given have been challenging but accomplishable.

During lunch meetings myself and other insight student were told lots of useful information on how we could get a job at Savills in the future. There are many different ways to entre, the most popular being through the grad student scheme, of which I will be applying for next year.

I have had work experience in other similar companies before and already knew about the culture behind business within the property industry. My experience at Savills has given me a greater understanding of this and I can now apply this to any future endeavours I may have. For instance, I have applied for more work experience over summer, knowing how the company works already is a great help.

There are many career paths within property. I have not made up my mind on what knish of property I want to work within yet. However my experience at Savills has allowed me to gain a greater insight on which every team does. I have had experience in a wide range of teams while I was at Savills.

I have not yet claimed for this, however I know that I can claim up to £100 in expenses for food and travel over my week here at Savills. I think this is a reasonable amount.
I don't think insight student should be paid as the experience is valuable enough on its own.

I was introduced to LinkedIn while at Savills. This is great for personal networking and meeting other employees, I now have a network of people which I can call on in the future for knowledge and they all know me as well.

We had two lunches with employees within the teams at the office, these were really fun as everyone was so friendly and approachable.
This gives you confidence in asking people questions later on as you feel you know them already.
Within these events I was able to add people to my LinkedIn network as well.

I do not think this applied to my insight programme as it was only 1 week, however I imagine that if it was longer I would have been informed on more activities things which I could have done.

As long as the friend was familiar with the property industry I would definitely recommend it to them. I have already told my course mates about it at university.