As a Management Reporting Intern placed within the Financial Planning and Reporting Team (FP&R) at Travelport my core responsibilities include reporting, producing and distributing various reports and decks to SLT members.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement year at Travelport as it has helped me distinguish job responsibilities I enjoy and areas of which I wish to learn more about
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Hard work is recognized by fellow colleagues and rewarded when appropriate.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
There were various programmes on offer throughout the year which helped to support our development within our roles, each hiring manager is well aware of your job role and responsilbities and is therefore available to give any guidance or support
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There are definitely peak times throughout the month where work load can begin to build up, however after a couple of month-end cycles you are more well-equipped to deal with work and prioritize effectively.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I found it surprising the amount of responsibility and exposure I was given throughout my time at Travelport. To see my work distributed to CEO, CFO and VPs was very fulfilling as it shows just how valuable the work I do is.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I believe I have developed so many invaluable skills this year
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Relaxed working environment, quite social however everybody accepts there is work to be done and a happy medium is reached
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Well organized, clear expectations and job responsibilities are set between you and your hiring manager. There are additional workshops to help build upon skills such as communication and presentation skills.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I would prefer greater personal training although finding the time to balance work responsibilities and further personal training I understand would be a challenge
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Although no official graduate programs are on offer at Travelport there is a good record of previous interns returning after graduation. I personally have really enjoyed my time at Travelport and would be open to the idea of future employment here
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
As part of a group of 18 interns settling into work this year it definitely helped ease us all into working life. Besides the social scene with fellow interns I was able to build strong relationships with team members
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Location wise in Langley is pretty dull... not too much on offer
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
No particular nightlife available nearby
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There's a social club on offer that offer trips every now and again at discounted prices. I went to Cirque du Soleil this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it