Intern at Ipsos MORI

Harrow Central London and City
Market Research

8.0/10

Media, brand and communications intern

The team is extremely friendly and the office atmosphere is very strong. The work undertaken was fascinating and the client list allowed for lots of opportunities to branch out and work with different methodologies and data.

Always supportive throughout the entire year. Feedback on completed work was always constructive and they often showed their appreciation after a busy period.

In the first few months, weekly meetings were held with my supervisor. He made sure that I was getting the training that I wanted and learning as much as possible to help me with my degree. He was flexible with my commute and allowed me to spend some days working at home if the trains were delayed. Was always available for a chat if there were any issues.

Due to the nature of the research we were carrying out, there were periods where the work was quiet and I was less busy. But when the research kicked in and analysis started, I was busy, but not overworked.

I was placed in charge of a team for one of the projects and ran most of that project on my own. This included training people who were about to start in the team. I was running my own training sessions for an online scripting package.

The experience of working in an office is invaluable. The skills picked up, such as using outlook, excel or other software will always be used in everyday work life. I was also able to pick up some new analysis techniques that aided my understanding of statistics and has helped me in my final year thus far.

There was always something going on. We often had socials within our own team and across the Connect team as a whole. The atmosphere was casual but professional. It was occasionally quiet, but there is always someone to talk to.

It has clearly been running for a number of years. The induction was quick and smooth and it was clear from the start what projects I would be working on.

Trainings were recommended and we were told that if there was anything that took our interest, we would be able to attend and learn more. One to one sessions were held with statistical analysts to enable me to learn more about statistics and help me in my maths degree.

The future employment prospects are good. My supervisor explored the job possibilities in the data science team which suited my interests and skills more. Also explored the opportunity of a sponsored postgraduate degree.

Plenty of company parties, including a summer fun day and Christmas party. There are always new graduates joining the team so the demographic was well suited and balanced.

Compared to other areas of London it was fairly cheap in Harrow. The other office near St Katherine Docks was more pricey in terms of cost of living.

There were plenty of pubs nearby to either office. However, with a long commute I rarely stayed long. More an issue with the commute than the nightlife.

2 days a year were used as outreach days and could be taken to go out and help in the local community.