1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Really enjoyed it. Gained an excellent insight into how a large business works.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I wasn't treated as an intern, but as part of the team. I was involved with any team nights out, activities, successes etc.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Any questions I had, I felt more than comfortable taking them to my manager, any member of my team or anyone else at Hays who I deemed would be able to help my query. Everyone is very approachable.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Most days are busy, however with people being your product, there are some periods eg. christmas, where people slow down on looking for jobs and as a result, it hinders the volume of work. Nethertheless, there are always things to be getting on with.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Full responsibility - I was doing the same job as my manager and the people around me. I was fully hiring people and making fees for the business.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have become a lot more confident dealing with a range of people due to having to interview candidates myself on a daily basis. My communication skills have developed along with presentation skills - all these will be transferable to assist my third year at Uni.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Work hard, play hard. Buzzing atmosphere in the office, never a dull moment, always someone around to chat to. Lots of nights out, celebrations, recognition etc.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Extremely well organised. Hays internships is a regular programme every year and there are several weeks training programmes set up.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
We had a week training in the office, a week training in another office, academys, one to one trainings etc.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Appealing, I can see myself in recruitment, however before my placement it was never something I had considered for myself and so I want to explore other options too. I would always go back, regardless.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Everyones always chatting, wanting to go out, celebrate etc. Never a dull moment.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Considering I worked in the Centre of Manchester, living and socialising is the same as anywhere. Not expensive considering!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Centre of Manchester - speaks for itself. Hundreds of bars to go to, loads of amazing restaurants, shops, clubs etc.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Not many opportunities to get involved in outside of work unless your team organises a social event.