NCS at NCS The Challenge

Voluntary

8.4/10

4 Week volunteering

Yes, it was a very enjoyable experience. There was not a day doing NCS that I did not enjoy and therefore I would highly recommend this experience to other young people who are keen to get involved in things and do a mixture of volunteering, team building and contribute to the community.

The people running the course very much made all of us feel highly valued when we were doing this scheme. It really felt like what we were doing was going to make a real different and therefore I would recommend this to many people keen to feel valued and wanted to make a different to the community.

It was run by volunteers and so it really felt like the people supporting us wanted to be there and therefore it felt like we had a real support network during our time there. All the projects that we complete were lead by volunteer leaders, but they did not dominate these projects.

There were many opportunities to develop many skills over the course of doing this scheme. The importance of working in a team was very strong, along with planning, being creative and producing projects with some formalities and therefore I think I really developed my skills by participating in this scheme.

The insight was very well structured. It was a 4 week course with a different theme / project / focus each week which I thought was a really good way to address different areas and develop skills in different parts of everyday life and more work like situations. I think this was very worth while.

The atmosphere was really great during this experience. The other people on the course were equally keen, which really makes a difference to the enjoyment of the course and for this I think it was really great. Also the people running the course really added something and therefore I believe the atmosphere was fab.

The NCS scheme is focused on its investment in young people and therefore I feel like this was a really strong aspect of the scheme and important for creating a good course in which young people can really flourish and develop themselves personally. It did not feel like we were using up the people's time.

The insight was helpful for me to discover if I wanted to in the future help out with the NCS scheme and what this would be like to volunteer here and therefore this was helpful for me doing to course to find this out and feel like what it would be like in the future.

Yes I think the course was very much helpful for helping me in understanding the NCS culture which is mainly based around volunteers and therefore the culture feels very friendly and like the people are there because they want to be there and therefore I feel that the culture is very good.

Although the course was really good it was not so good for helping me decide what I want to do in my future career because the aim of the course was not so much to discover this and therefore the course was not so helpful for making me think about what I want to do.

The NCS is a voluntary scheme and therefore I was not expecting to be paid and thus this was not a problem. the people running this are also mainly volunteers and therefore the idea of money in this is not a core aspect to why people do it or are there.

Yes there were many opportunities to meet and interact with many people doing and running the course and also the project with the local community aided interaction with a more diverse and greater range of people which I thought was really good and so therefore if you want to meet many people it's good.

There were many social events throughout the 4 weeks. It felt like the whole thing was a bit of a social event because you were interacting with so many people each day and there were many people doing the scheme and thus is was a really good thing to do for this.

The course was not really designed to find out about work opportunities outside of this scheme and therefore it is tricky to comment on this. However I would say that it is good for meeting the local community and perhaps introducing volunteering posts and what you could do to aid the community.

Yes I would highly recommend this to a friend. I think as a young person it was a really great thing to do to meet more people, a good way to help the local community and develop planning and more work based skills that will be really useful for future employment.