Interpreting Services Intern at Language Connect

Customer Service

6.8/10

5.5

I really enjoy my internship as it was challenging and rewarding; it was good to know that the fact that your role made a difference to the patients. It was also very interesting to learn about freelancing and what a day looks like for interpreters in the field.

I really enjoy working in the Interpreting Team - everyone is really welcoming, friendly and helpful. They make you feel like part of the time from day one.

I felt really valued by my colleagues as they always supported me through my internship, especially at the beginning when I was learning about the systems and interpreters' names.

My colleagues always gave me positive feedback if I did something well, particularly with difficult requests or situations and always gave me fair feedback where there was room for improvement.

My supervisors were really helpful and supportive. Whenever I had a query about something they were always happy to answer and always offered tips on how to deal with situations which I took on board and saw how it made a difference to my working style. On the other hand, I really appreciated the fact that they also allowed you to be independent in your role; after showing you how things work/what to do they trusted you to do it yourself.

Being part of the interpreting team meant that although each day varied slightly, on average, days were quite busy because not only was the role to allocate bookings, but also to follow up jobs with admin where you could as well as setting up telephone interpreting. Moreover, I always kept myself busy by helping members of the team with their NHS trusts.

I believe I was given quite a lot of responsibility from the first day as I had to speak on the phone straight way in order to allocate bookings. In addition, I was given my own NHS Trust to cover which meant I was responsible for allocating bookings, following through with any problems that arose, admin and support to interpreters. Moreover, towards the end of my internship I was also given the responsibility to look after another NHS Trust.

I believe I have learned invaluable skills here at Language Connect because I was shown how to deal with difficult situations with utmost professionalism. Furthermore, I learned how to communicate effectively to a range of people from all backgrounds and ages. I believe one of the biggest skills I have developed was listening and understanding clients' needs which will help me in the future.

The atmosphere in my office was pleasant; people greeted people in the morning and brought in cakes and treats for everyone which I really enjoyed as it had a team spirit.

However, sometimes, during stressful times you did feel it too (but we all have busy stressful days!)

I think it was really well organised; from the first day everything was set- up (e-mails/work area etc).

I really appreciated the fact that resources you required to do your job (contact details/ portals/ spreadsheets etc) were also made available and were really accessible.

I believe the training provided was good; they showed you all the systems, all the processes you needed to know to do your job effectively and efficiently. In terms of development, they did give you an opportunity to learn further by having more responsibility by looking after more NHS Trusts.

The future prospects are appealing because the company invests in its people; they like to promote from within. They are also appealing because there are opportunities to get to higher positions within each team.

The social scene was good. There were chats organised for groups - the interns were particularly social and very open to welcoming new people and getting to know everyone. People also organised after-work drinks and there were also company events such as the Christmas Staff Party.

It was quite expensive, however, it was not extortionate considering we are working in central London.

The are I worked in was very social; it mainly had bars, restaurants and tapas bars which was nice as you could go to them after work and relax.

This was great to enjoy with your colleagues!