Digital Technology Intern at GE (General Electric)

Bristol South West
Computer Science Information Technology

8.3/10

DT intern

I would say that I enjoyed my placement a lot, I was working under the IT department, I had applied for the role through Rate My Placements website, there was other interns who worked with me in similar roles, there were interesting tasks to keep me engaged throughout the year.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 2 roles at GE (General Electric)

I felt like I was a valued member of the business and my department, I would work close with my team daily and my input was always considered, I was able to add impact in each project I was involved in, got to know everyone I worked with on a very personal level as well.

Whenever I have queries or issues there is always someone to reach out to for support and guidance, also had weekly or bi-weekly meetings with management to track my progress, had general conversations regarding projects daily as well. The amount of management support you get is basically up to you to choose.

Some days would be extremely busy and some of the days would be more quiet, it depends what role you have, I was working in digital technology, some other departments such as Finance would have a consistent workload up till the quarter closes and then their schedule would be entirely filled.

It varied per project, sometimes I was given projects basically to handle by myself, there were some projects I would only be involved in slightly with a few hours a week, it really depends on your role and department and how much responsibility you want, you can always ask for more jobs and take more work on if you want it.

I got to develop a lot of skills, I work in digital technology and have been creating front-end websites a lot this year, I learned back-end skills at university so it's nice to be able to call myself a full-stack developer now. Also my people skills developed a lot this year.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 2 roles at GE (General Electric)

Everyone is fun and friendly to each-other, the atmosphere is that everyone is working hard but always has time to help out if you need something. I think all offices have similar atmosphere, it's just how I expected, the layout is fairly open plan probably to encourage communication between the teams.

When I started on my first two days my laptop was not ready which was a bit of a shame so I had not a lot to do because I really needed it to get started, once I got into a few projects everything was organised, the hardest part was learning about the industry I got into.

I was sent across the country to take part in projects, also I was sent on paid training development courses, also each employee is given access to lots of online resources that normally cost money, I went through a lot of these and literally anything I want training in I can ask for, even if it's not related to my role.

There are some great graduate schemes, you can get posted around the globe with these roles, you would normally have a 2 year scheme and live in 3 different locations, normally at least 2 different countries during this time, also the pay on these schemes is very good, I will be applying.

Yes, there is lots of students who also were on placement here, approximately 10 on my site, there was also a few miles away and we had connections with interns who worked there, so we had some good work nights out of 15+ people all our age from within the business.

The costs of living were the same as I lived in student housing with my uni friends, I would say I spent more money on nights out socializing whilst working here, but that's common if you have more money you will spend more money because you have it, so I expected and accounted for this.

I am working in Bristol and it's known for it's great night life, I have been at University here for 2 years before going into placement so I knew what to expect, I just stopped going out on weekdays as much since I would be up early the next day, but I still went out lots.

Yes, it's Bristol there is a lot of things to do.