1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my work placement, I was a valued member of my team, and was given the opportunity to work on additional projects alongside my core role. I was in regular contact with my manager and even had an on the job coach to help guide me through the year.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was 1 of 6 interns in my team and we were never made to feel any less than the full time employees. Our opinions were valued and we were regularly called upon by not just our core team, but also the wider team for our input and assistance with tasks.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
After a restructuring change within the company in my first few months of working, I had a new manager. My new manager was very supportive and we met on a bi weekly basis to discuss current topics and challenges I was facing at work, and also any issues I had going on at home.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was very busy on a day to day basis, with work load varying depending on the time of year and how close to the end of quarter/year. I was able to take on additional tasks if my workload allowed for it, and I was supported by my manager to do so.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I personally was given lots of responsibility whenever it was possible. Due to the nature of my job, I worked as part of a larger team, all with a common goal. I was specifically asked to join external project teams to work on additional tasks which was helpful to develop time management skills.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
My placement helped me to apply the theory that I learnt at University to real life scenarios and situations. It has helped me to identify where I need to work on further to develop my personal skills, and where my strengths can be applied to working and work place situations.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I worked in an open plan office, with managers and employees all having the same amount of work space, and same desk/ set up area. The general atmosphere was very relaxed with everyone having a common focus on work, if you need to speak to anyone regarding any work issues, you could approach their desk to discuss face to face.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There was approximately 45 other Interns on the same site as where I was placed, which meant there was a strong internship programme in place for when we arrived, with specific requirements for us as interns, and also a handover period where the previous interns can pass over core roles and responsibilities as well as train.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
My firm invested in me by providing me with an on the job coach who I had weekly meetings with, and who's main concern was my well being and my development within the company, they always ensured I was getting on well and felt comfortable with my job and team.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
Staff Sales/Staff Shop
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There was a very good social scene for all interns that were working, no matter what their interests were. There was a sports and societies committee that was set up, that ran along side the core company committee, which organised nights out, quizzes, trips away. There was also sports teams set up to include full time employees as well as interns.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?