1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
My Internship at the Expedia Group (HomeAway), was a great experience! I came to Expedia for a 5 month internship within my Bachelors degree and worked on the Sales team. Working for a company of this size has been very interesting and I don't think I would've been able to get this much out of an internship in a smaller or less international company.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Really really great atmosphere among all the teams, after days I already felt like a member of my team, I was included in all team meetings etc and was never treated as 'just an intern', very welcoming and international workplace, and lots of after work activities to get to know everyone
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I had weekly catch ups with my Mentor and catch ups with my Manager on a regular basis. In between it was always easy to talk to them or contact them and the communication was great. They were very supportive when suggesting own ideas or projects and always interested to hear our feedback and checking in on how we were doing. Also they were very understanding when it came to Uni assignments during the internship.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
First weeks were a bit slow, but after a while, once you're settled and have your tasks, it gets busy - in a good way
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
we did have quite a few smaller tasks, but also tasks that continued over a few months with greater responsibility, on which you could actually measure your impact
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
the internship was a great way for me to apply lots of the things I learned in University in real life, helped me get a better understanding of what I was studying and things that are/ aren't important that you learn at Uni, it was a great way for me to decide which area I want to do my masters in
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
the office is very international! it is super easy to get in touch with anyone in the office and they were all very helpful and friendly when you approached them, the social committee also organizes lots of after work events ( bowling, Halloween party etc. ), you get the feeling that people really enjoy working here
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
my application was pretty last minute but everything after that went really smooth, HR was a great help for all the questions I had about moving to London
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
I spent the first 2,5 weeks of my internship in training ( 1 on 1 with the teams trainer) which was an incredible help at the beginning of the internship and also during the internship our trainer was always there to answer any questions we had or problems that came up
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I can see myself working for Expedia again in the future
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
at the time I was there there were only 3 other interns in my office, but we tried to catch up for lunch every once in a while
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
as the office is located in zone 1 in London the cost of living is incredibly high
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
the office is located in central London so there are a lot of restaurants/ pubs/ clubs/ theaters close by
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?