1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I loved my internship with Expedia. Everyday I was excited to go and learn something new everyday, and Expedia gave me that excitement. I loved how I was able to work on a number of projects that I wanted to do and how you can see the physical impact you had.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
The Expedia environment is brilliant. Everyone is like a family and are always there to support you and help you develop. Not only did they help you with the work, from day 1 you know you are going to make some great friends.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given a great level on guidance and support through my internship, especially when I was starting out. I never worked in a hotel so I had to start my knowledge of the industry from the beginning and the support to make sure I knew the right things was perfect.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Everyday you learn something new at Expedia, and I love that feeling. There was never a moment where I felt I did not know what to do, but I knew I was in control of my workload. I will admit that good time management skills are needed because it's easy to get sucked into something and forget about other things. But when you have the responsibility to be in control, you can find the perfect balance
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
My main responsibilities came through the projects I completed. This was because I was in control of projects that were looking to improve something that had huge potential business value. I felt the project work was a great time for me to step up and show my team I can make an impact
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
At Expedia I have helped develop and learn loads of new skills that I will use throughout my life and career. From communicating and presentation skills to using spreadsheets, these are skills i will continue to use throughout my work career
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I had a great office! It was a very fun atmosphere that also socialised outside of working hours too.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I was only the second intern in my office and the setup was perfect from the day I started. The organisation is key and it really helps you enjoy your time.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The training week at the start is perfect for learning the basics of what you will be doing in the internship. The rest is down to your team and I was lucky enough to have a great team that constantly put in time and effort to make sure that I was progressing in the right direction.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I would totally recommend working for this company. They take care of their staff with amazing benefits but most importantly it's like a giant family who all support each other
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I was the only intern at this point in my office.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Edinburgh is ok for living and great socialising. You can rent a room for a reasonable price and socialising is cheap!
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Edinburgh caters for everyone, great bars, clubs and restaurants to suit all tastes.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are loads of opportunities for activities outside of work. It really depends on what you like but there are loads of gyms, arts and language activities you can take part in. For me I just joined the gym and looked at taking up a new language.