Relationships with Expedia's hotel partners, securing a good partnership, good offers for Expedia's customers and acquiring new hotel partners to offer customers a variety of accommodations. A main part of the role was project management (different ad-hoc projects).
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I had a really great overall experience, from training to taking on more and more responsibilities, very personal development opportunities and the best support from my manager in my internship role as well as for my future career.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Everyone treated me like a full member of the team from day 1, relationships with colleagues were great and in general the working environment and corporate culture at Expedia is very open. No matter which position, people would ask me for advice and feedback or would help me if I had questions. Expedia also gave great opportunities for team events outside work and a good office environment for socialising with your team and others.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was given support not only for my role but also for my application to a future position within Expedia Group, although this position was in a different department. My manager always supported me and all team members individually to our personal development needs and inspired me to become better at what I do.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had the right amount of projects and day to day work and I was given flexibility to prioritise and self-manage towards deadlines.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Considering my low experience at that time, I was given a great amount of responsibilities as I developed in my role and as I gained my manager's and my team's trust. I was fully responsible for my own projects and when in contact with business partners.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have not only developed industry-specific knowledge and skills but also learnt how to manage projects, how work efficiently on my own and in teams, how to create a good working environment, how to network within and outside the business, how to be confident in discussions and presentations and how to overcome obstacles.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Great team atmosphere, motivation, open for feedback and supportive, ensuring efficient work while always leaving room for fun.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Internship really well organised from HR support for my move, over training opportunities to the set up of different projects.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Expedia Group provides multiple training platforms and my manager encouraged me to make use of them as much as I can. Apart from that the overall environment motivates you to learn and to develop everyday to keep pace with the fast-moving industry.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I managed to get a job in Expedia Group right after my internship and I am more than happy in my new role.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We met other placement students from all over Europe in an onboarding training week in London.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Housing wasn't cheap but normal for the area/for the UK and I could pay all expenses with the wage I was given.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Young atmosphere, many bars and clubs and a lot of students due to nearby university.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Many activities both in the city itself, from numerous facebook groups and also from the shared office where we were in.