1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my time at Tata Steel in Port Talbot. It was a great opportunity to work in a very large organization and work on a few important projects which the business is currently using at that site. I loved my time there, all the staff were friendly and helpful.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Treated me as one of the team straight away and not like other placements where you are just a student intern. I attended important team meetings and valued my opinion on all matters. If I had an issue or needed help with some work, everyone would be happy to help you. We also set up a weekly football kick around after work, which was really fun.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My supervisor and the manager helped me settle into my role. Very nervous at the beginning but they are really helpful. They helped me set up my working environment really quickly, introuced me to all the team and helped us get to speed with the work we'd be doing. Also if we had any issues with anything we could go to them for help and felt really comfortable in doing so as well.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Every day I would have work to do. Not a single day of my internship was dull or empty. They gave me work straight away to get into and did not overload me either. Once one project was finished, they already had another project lined up for myself to start.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
All projects I was given were my responsibility so I needed to make sure that I managed to complete the work before the deadline. When meeting with a 'clinet', my supervisor managed the meeting to get all the information I needed. This was only due to me being new at the business and I would have more responsibility if I was there for longer.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Over my time there, I developed many new skills and enhanced current ones as well. I learnt a few new programming languages which I am currently using in my degree and has given me the upper hand on that module. Also those languages I will be using for the rest of my life while I'm a software engineer. My communication and presenting skills were enhanced as well and now I feel more confident talking in front of large groups.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office was always positive and happy. Cakes and treats would be brought in most weeks so you can enjoy small breaks while having a good chat with most of the office. As you are there to work, it is not constantly a talkative place but could have a chat with anyone and everyone at any point.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
It was brilliantly set up. They planned it all for us so all the interns and placement students knew what would happen in our induction and while on placement. Once in the office, they would run different training course every so often which you would attend and was very organized
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Provided me with all the equipment I needed to do my work and if I need better hardware or software, I would be able to request it and if it was feasible, I would be given it to work with. Gave me training courses to attend to enhance my knowledge on various things.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Amazing. About a week before finishing my placement, the manager asked if I'd like to come back (I really do) and then he offered me to come back full time as a graduate when I finish my degree. I need to meet certain conditions such as certain grades then I will be back there soon. Can't wait to go back
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There is a social society for all students and graduates at the work and they set up a lot of events such as meals, charity events and even trips abroad. As I was an intern for a short time, I didn't join as I wouldn't be there for long enough.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Never socialized in the area so do not have a preference but lots of food stores and fast food restaurants available to go during lunch or after work.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Port Talbot does not have much of a night life but near by is Swansea and that is pretty decent
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were a number of events which the works can get involved in such as football tournaments, rugby tournaments, rounders tournament and also my office set up a weekly football kick around after work which was fun.