Strategy Analyst at Shell

Economics Energy Environmental

7.0/10

7.4

Worked as an Environmental Products Trading analyst. Analysed Carbon markets to find opportunities, as well as leading a database project.

Enjoyable but challenging. I was given a real projects to work on, which made the work very rewarding. Most colleagues are open and friendly so I felt welcomed. The importance of work comes with added responsibility and potentially added stress.

The nature of the work means that you feel like a valued member of the team upon delivery. However, at times I felt there was a clear separation between the intern and full-time employees. This is to be expected anywhere - given you are an intern. Overall, I felt like a valued member of the team.

The mentor/supervisor arrangement world very well and makes sure that you have access to enough help and support to make the placement as smooth as possible. I was able to use them as sounding boards for new ideas, as well as turn to them for help when required.

At the start work was slow when you are learning your way around, but at the end when deadlines are falling it became busy. The working hours were not ridiculous, but I always felt like I had enough to do throughout.

I was given a real project that was fulfilling a specific purpose and was going to help add value to the business. This came with a lot of responsibility due to the independent nature of the project.

Skills developed during the work will be helpful in my final year at university and beyond. Being able to undertake a project (almost) independently helped develop project management, time management, as well as more specific technical and analytical skills.

Quite quiet, and a lot of independent work. Some other teams were close and more collaborative though.

Overall, fairly well organised although the interns had to organise most of the assessments etc...

They made sure that I received good feedback throughout which makes sure that I could develop as much as possible during the time, and deliver the best results.

Good career progression opportunities an investment in the graduates.

Among the interns there was a lot of meeting up, and i get the impression that the graduates stay well connected. However, the full-time employees didn't seem to meet up outside of work that often.

Very expensive (Central London)

Lots of bars, clubs and restaurants (central London)

Some formal social/networking events but no sporting opportunities etc...