Working within the Lodging Parntner Service at Expedia. taking care of hotel partner visibility and offer on the Expedia sites.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I am loving the company culture, pace of learning, benefits and overall environment. It is very fun to work with such dynamic and smart people, everyone seems to be working hard and enjoying life after work as well.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I feel an integral part of my team. My role and responsibilities fell no less than what entry levels do. my colleagues listen o my opinions and give me plenty of opportunities to speak up.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Thanks to 1-2-1s with my managers, weekly team meetings and regional calls I have felt supported and guided throughout the entire journey.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My daily schedule is tight but not overwhelming. It depends on my ability to organize my activities, nobody ever forced me stay late, it all depends on how fast can you achieve your targets. No time to get bored.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
My team relied on my work since day one. They gave me plenty of opportunities to take ownership of projects and take on more or less work without pushing and in complete freedom. at the end of my internship, I feel like I am ready to take on the entry-level position for the same job.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The training and skills that I have received are very useful for two distinct reasons. First it helped me bring my work organisation to a new level, setting high standards and keeping track of any records. Learning how to keep focused, organised and speed up your daily tasks is a skill that can be useful anytime. Also, I learnt a lot about the travel and hospitality industry, although this is not my industry of reference and I don't plan to work in this industry in the next 10 years.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Relaxed, dynamic, young, friendly, warm, and busy. If you like quiet and boring offices then this is not the place for you.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I had plenty of information and material to explore. However, because of the huge amount of resources, it was easy to get lost, especially at the beginning. I would suggest enhancing the shadowing part of the training and promote peer-to-peer learning in a more structured way.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company provided one week of training at the beginning of my internship plus additional training and online courses. Moreover, I was given the opportunity to attend extracurricular coding courses offered by the company to all employees that could be attended during office hours.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
There were no perks with
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Because of the extensive training and recognition that the company provides to interns, it is easy to demonstrate the willingness to work and motivation and eventually land a job at the company. The company encourages growth, job switch within departments. there are many possibilities to grow fast for motivated people.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I didn't meet many other students/interns as I mainly worked within my team or other teams in the same department. Overall I only knew another intern working in my floor but I never felt that this was a negative thing for me.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Medium-low compared to London prices.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Upper Street/Islington and Shoreditch are the best areas for young people to have a night out without spending too much here in London. I really enjoyed the area where I worked and spent many Friday nights at the pub with the colleagues.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Since everyone is young and comes from all over the world, it is easy to find people willing to have a drink together or to do something over the weekend. very friendly.