Regularly liaising with clients, customers and the courts as well as managing workload in a organised manner.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement at Shoosmiths Solicitors as it gave me a real insight into what a solicitor does. It also allowed me to see the practical side of law. Shoosmiths were extremely helpful and supportive of my studies as well as making sure I was happy at the placement.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My colleagues made me feel very valued and supported me through my placement. Although I was a placement student, they made me fell part of the team which I absolutely loved.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I was continuously supported by supervisors and team leaders as well as the partners that worked closely with us placements. I was given regular 1-2-1's which we not only discussed my standard of work but discussed my placement work as well, which I really liked. They gave me ideas for my portfolio and really helped me.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I was very busy every day. That was not a day where I was struggling for work. I was set regular tasks which would last me the majority of the day, alongside taking regular calls from customers.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given quite a lot of responsibility during my placement. After being signed off, my post no longer needed to be checked by my supervisor, therefore it was my responsibility to make sure letters and emails were sent without any errors.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The skills I have developed during my placement will help me a lot in my studies. I have developed my verbal and written skills which will help in my essay and letter writing assessments. I have also learnt a lot about the litigation processes which can help in some elements of my studies.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere in my office was great. It wasn't silent, but everyone was focused. You felt you could talk to your colleagues as long as it was work related and a suitable volume. We would regular celebrate peoples birthdays as well as when they were leaving the firm as well which was a really nice feel.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Overall I was very organised with my work placement. There were times where I would fall behind if I was really busy at work and had to do some over time, but I would make sure that this wouldn't get too out of hand and catch up as soon as I could.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm invests a lot into me. I was regularly provided with training and update training sessions that were related to the job. I was also provided with training sessions that helped with my wellbeing as well such as stress. They continually made sure I was working at the best I could by monitoring my call scores and giving feedback on them so I could improve where needed.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Future employment prospects are very appealing. I will make sure that I apply to their graduate scheme as I know they have won awards for this and that they look after their staff.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes there was. I was placed with 5 other placements. We regularly met up outside of work times and I made great friends that will be friends for life. It was great to feel supported by colleagues who were in the same position as you.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I didn't live out during my placement, however the cost of socialising in the area wasn't that expensive. There were some student bars which were good in price as well as no related drinking events such as bowling which were a good price.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife was great in Northampton. There are plenty of clubs as well as bars and pubs if you didn't want to go to clubs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes there were. They put on events outside of work such as the boat race which you could get involved with. You also got the opportunity to volunteer for charity.