1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed my placement year at BAE Systems even though it wasn't directly related to my university subject. The types of projects I worked on were all very interesting and varied, as were customers and colleagues. I never had a bad experience!
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was always given some level of responsibility for a project and so felt as though I was always included and a valued member of the team
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Every single one of my colleagues and others within the company always made time for me to ask any questions and offer me guidance. My manager always kept in frequent contact to discuss how I was getting on and gave me advice and guidance throughout.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I enjoyed an equal amount of work each day, some days were fairly busy when it came to certain times in the lifecycle of a project whilst other times I was less busy although there were always learning opportunities that I could direct my attention to if I found myself with nothing to do.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I always held some degree of responsibility during certain projects which made me feel valued and incentivised me to deliver. Either if I was part of a large team or an individual piece of work I was able to have a part to play.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I feel that each day I was able to learn something new or improve what I had already learned. I definitely feel that the work ethic I developed was one of the greatest benefits to my studies that came out of my time on placement.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The office was always very friendly with some laughs and I instantly felt like part of the team. Everybody was always willing to lend a hand and cooperate together which allowed us to get work done to a much higher standard and more efficiently whilst enjoying the work at the same time.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The placement was extremely well organised from the application stage to the interview and to beginning work. Whilst the extent of forms to fill and security checks did take time it was all very well communicated.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company always expressed a desire to develop my skills and give me as many opportunities and as much involvement as possible to provide me with an overview of what I could be doing if I return. As I have completed a placement I also have an advantage in the graduate recruitment without having to apply from scratch and have been offered a place to return.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Graduate prospects are extremely promising and offer a great deal of variety and new challenges. In my department traveling is also a key opportunity which is something I much look forward to as well as clear career progression.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
All of the other placement and graduates were able to frequently get together at lunch times and arrange for time outside of work. My colleagues in my office also included me in all of the social activities at lunch and outside of work as well as the weekly breakfasts which all of the office came to.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Being in the South East the cost may be high compared to other places although that is to be expected. The salary and other cheaper opportunities made up for it.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
The nightlife was ok, obviously not as much on offer when compared to being at university, although there were many other students and a few university campus's nearby which offered some places for entertainment.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were frequently events organised by the company and subsidised events, e.g. free tickets, which were offered. Seasonal parties are also arranged by the company for the whole department which are a good opportunity to network with others and have a great time out of the office!