Summer Intern at BAE Systems

Portsmouth South East
Mechanical Engineering

BAE Systems is a Top Employer

7.9/10

Working within an exciting team at Portsmouth Naval Base, supporting engineers with all sorts of mechanical projects.

After just a few weeks I began to really settle in and fully immerse myself in the development opportunities on offer, which were abundant. The team I was in were extremely welcoming and I thoroughly enjoyed my Internship.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at BAE Systems

In a very short period of time I was given tasks which carried responsibility, meaning I felt a useful part of the team very quickly.

During my placement I had some personal difficulties. I was quick to voice these to my line manager, who was extremely supportive and understanding. All management staff were accommodating to my specific needs and requirements, helping me feel supported throughout my employment.

Initially, as to be expected, the work load was low as I was too inexperienced to be able to significantly contribute to any projects. This did mean some slow days in the first couple of weeks, however once I became more confident in my role I found I was allowed to take on as much as I feel I could manage, and allowed me to take control of my own development.

Once confident in my role I was encouraged to take on as much responsibility as I felt I could manage successfully. There was definitely opportunity to contribute to projects, quickly growing my confidence in my own abilities. There was always support if required.

I picked up a lot of technical knowledge during my Internship, to which I hope to apply to projects during my final years at university. Time management and organisational skills are also something I feel drastically improved following my employment.

RateMyPlacement is currently advertising 6 roles at BAE Systems

The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed, but also professional. I enjoyed being in the office day to day.

There was a clear structure, with personal objectives set early on in my employment which were tracked and reviewed.

There was online training available once my IT was set up, which helped integrate me into the business quickly. I didn't get the chance to complete any face to face training, however I was only there for a short period.

I hope to return for the graduate programme following my degree.

I was invited to weekly 5-a-side football organised by current and former placement/grad students.

I was based in Portsmouth which compared to where I study was massively cheap.

I didn't experience much of the nightlife but what I saw was good.

I was encouraged to attend sporting activities with current and former placement/grad students. Everyone was very welcoming.