Working within an exciting team at Portsmouth Naval Base, supporting engineers with all sorts of mechanical projects.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
After just a few weeks I began to really settle in and fully immerse myself in the development opportunities on offer, which were abundant. The team I was in were extremely welcoming and I thoroughly enjoyed my Internship.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
In a very short period of time I was given tasks which carried responsibility, meaning I felt a useful part of the team very quickly.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
During my placement I had some personal difficulties. I was quick to voice these to my line manager, who was extremely supportive and understanding. All management staff were accommodating to my specific needs and requirements, helping me feel supported throughout my employment.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Initially, as to be expected, the work load was low as I was too inexperienced to be able to significantly contribute to any projects. This did mean some slow days in the first couple of weeks, however once I became more confident in my role I found I was allowed to take on as much as I feel I could manage, and allowed me to take control of my own development.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Once confident in my role I was encouraged to take on as much responsibility as I felt I could manage successfully. There was definitely opportunity to contribute to projects, quickly growing my confidence in my own abilities. There was always support if required.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I picked up a lot of technical knowledge during my Internship, to which I hope to apply to projects during my final years at university. Time management and organisational skills are also something I feel drastically improved following my employment.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed, but also professional. I enjoyed being in the office day to day.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
There was a clear structure, with personal objectives set early on in my employment which were tracked and reviewed.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There was online training available once my IT was set up, which helped integrate me into the business quickly. I didn't get the chance to complete any face to face training, however I was only there for a short period.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I hope to return for the graduate programme following my degree.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I was invited to weekly 5-a-side football organised by current and former placement/grad students.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I was based in Portsmouth which compared to where I study was massively cheap.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I didn't experience much of the nightlife but what I saw was good.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
I was encouraged to attend sporting activities with current and former placement/grad students. Everyone was very welcoming.