1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed it a lot, there were lots of different opportunities giving me the chance to develop skills in a number of different areas
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I was trusted to complete key tasks and communicate with suppliers to complete tasks right from the start so felt valued that I was given this trust.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Everyone was happy to help with anything that I did not know and would spend time teaching me how to do things if I asked
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
As expected, the start was slow as I needed to complete training etc. but after that I had a manageable amount of work. Enough to keep me going but not an overwhelming amount to cause stress
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
As the placement progressed I was given more and more responsibility. The amount is limited by the checking process as obviously things should be checked before they are sent to customers/suppliers but I had an appropriate amount of responsibility for my level.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
The thought process of the commercial side of engineering has been developed very well in my placement. If anything, it is the degree that hasn't prepared me for the job as there are many, quite basic tools, that university doesn't teach you or emphasise enough.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Relaxed. I felt comfortable talking with other employees when asking for help and there is a dress-down Friday which makes the week feel shorter.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Honestly, the start of the placement was quite poorly organised. There was very little structure in helping me settle into the placement however once settled in, the structure was much better
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The firm have given me a number of different tasks and opportunities which allowed me to develop skills in a number of different areas. I was also given the funding to apply for the IMechE MPDS scheme as they encouraged me to gain chartered engineer status.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I found my work interesting and every day was different which made it much more enjoyable so I would want to return onto the graduate scheme if given the opportunity. On top of that, it has given me great experience so that I can take that to another company if I wanted.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
There were frequently organised social and sporting activities
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home as I live nearby so don't know much about this but speaking to others, the cost is relatively high
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There is the university nearby so there are a number of clubs and pubs in the area
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Frequently organised events were advertised throughout my placement