Commercial Finance Intern: You will support the retail business of Shell. This is in the form of monthly reporting budgeting and forcasting.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
Enjoyed the internship thouroughly, there was an excellent culture, the location was good, the work was meaningful and there was a cohesive intern/graduate social scene.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Very friendly team, would always listen to my opinion and would always be open for chats whether formal or informal. Senior managers also scheduled time out of their days to speak to me.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Was consistently supported throughout the process and given guidance whenever I was unsure of something.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There was a very healthy balance; there was enough work for me to be stimulated but there was also time to network and get to know colleagues from other parts of the business.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
Given that my degree background was completely unrelated to the department’s functions, I was given a remarkable amount of autonomy over the projects I carried out. Equally there were some tasks which were highly specialised that I wasn’t able to do but given my experience level this was completely reasonable.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
Learnt new skill sets, all highly transferable. Developed skills such as presenting, project management and time management.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Very positive, very walm and welcoming team.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Had everything in place for me when I arrived, and it was a smooth process from start to end.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Was able to access online training modules. The graduate team put on team building exercises also and feedback sessions.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Above 25 days holiday
Working from home
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
It’s such a global company that the opportunities are endless. Work life balance alongside the culture make Shell a great place to work.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Graduate and intern integration events were put on during the placement. Interns also met weekly and socialised often after work as well.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Central London costs; was expensive however we were
being paid so that made it more affordable.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Good from what I saw, I didn’t spend too much time exploring the nightlife however.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Working in central London meant that there was a lot going on; there are plenty of activities for people who are proactive enough to go looking for them.