Internship within the electrical power department with engineering work.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
The work was challenging but enjoyable. I wish there had been more variety in the work given. There were occasions where there was not enough work to keep each intern busy in specific departments,
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I felt the team I was placed in for my internship along with the team in early careers were very welcoming. The work given was of a level that was helpful to the company and made it feel like it had value to the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager in my team was always available to meet if asked and set aside time to ensure I was progressing and comfortable. My function manager was also helpful when support was needed. The manager in early careers was on annual leave for much of the internship.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I had short periods of time where I had nothing to do and some deadlines close together which meant I was overwhelmed. On the whole I was sufficiently busy for the majority of my time.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
The work I was given was important to the safe and correct operation of necessary equipment. I was not in charge of many projects alone but felt I was responsible for key elements.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
There was little to help with the work I undertake through my studies as it is more theoretical than the work I was given. In the future I now have skills to show how to work in that environment and how to meet deadlines and expectations.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
The atmosphere was very friendly and confortable. It was a bit separated so there was less opportunity to get to know new people and some people did not seem to want to interact.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Individual mangers were very prepared and able to set up work well when asked. The early careers department do not give the managers ample time to prepare before the intern arrival.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
There were no training courses or additional work set up by the company. Any additional work wanted was up to the intern to find.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
I have been offered a place on the Graduate Development Framework for next September. I am unsure if I will return but it is an appealing offer.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
As this was my second placement the social life the year before had been far more active. We still on occasion met up but it was not as frequent as it previously had been.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
In Barrow it is generally fairly cheap. The surrounding areas were not as cheap but still reasonable to socialise in.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
There are not many options or places to visit for nightlife but it was still possible to go on a night out.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There were some sports nights organised by those in the company but there was little variety for those not interested in football.