Student Intern at Schlumberger

Placement (5-9 Months)
Milton Park Europe
Computer Science

8.8/10

I enjoyed working on experimental features for simulation software, relating to implementing automatic derivatives. The experience was unique and I felt responsible for the methodology and the future impact that this may have on future development of the software.

My teammates supported me, by giving clear explanations and guidance. I felt very welcomed on the first day.

My manager organised bi-weekly meetings with my team. This was useful to ensure I did not fall behind in my work. My manager also reviewed my work. This was valuable as I learnt to develop good programming style.

I always had work to do, my shared task with my team is very big. However, sometimes I will be waiting for jobs to be done, meetings with other co--workers.

My contributions as part of the placement is visible in the commercial software. Hence, I was given responsibility to deal with client issues indirectly.

I developed many skills, including programming, professional development and various technologies. This will no doubt help me in my future education and career.

I worked with my teammates in the same room, which was quiet in times of concentration and chatty in times of discussion.

I felt there was significant management involved in preparation of my placement, from my first day to my last week. In particularly, I received training in my first week.

The company invested resources into my development. This involved training, support from other coworkers.

There are many potential career paths which was outlined during a day of my placement. I haven't looked into them into much detail.

Yes, but I don't believe this has anything to do this review.

Decent, but given I worked in South Oxfordshire, costs may be higher. My rent was £525 per month. Once again, this has nothing to do with the company.

I'm not particularly interested in Nightlife. There's no N/A score.

There are some, involving some co-workers who do jogging around the area.