1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I enjoyed working on experimental features for simulation software, relating to implementing automatic derivatives. The experience was unique and I felt responsible for the methodology and the future impact that this may have on future development of the software.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My teammates supported me, by giving clear explanations and guidance. I felt very welcomed on the first day.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
My manager organised bi-weekly meetings with my team. This was useful to ensure I did not fall behind in my work. My manager also reviewed my work. This was valuable as I learnt to develop good programming style.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
I always had work to do, my shared task with my team is very big. However, sometimes I will be waiting for jobs to be done, meetings with other co--workers.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
My contributions as part of the placement is visible in the commercial software. Hence, I was given responsibility to deal with client issues indirectly.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I developed many skills, including programming, professional development and various technologies. This will no doubt help me in my future education and career.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I worked with my teammates in the same room, which was quiet in times of concentration and chatty in times of discussion.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I felt there was significant management involved in preparation of my placement, from my first day to my last week. In particularly, I received training in my first week.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
The company invested resources into my development. This involved training, support from other coworkers.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
Sports and Social Club
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There are many potential career paths which was outlined during a day of my placement. I haven't looked into them into much detail.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
Yes, but I don't believe this has anything to do this review.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
Decent, but given I worked in South Oxfordshire, costs may be higher. My rent was £525 per month. Once again, this has nothing to do with the company.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
I'm not particularly interested in Nightlife. There's no N/A score.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
There are some, involving some co-workers who do jogging around the area.