Supporting the in-house legal team in BAE Systems Land UK.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I thoroughly enjoyed my work placement in the in-house legal department. The experience was unlike no other as I was able to understand more about the world of in-house law.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
I feel that my colleagues valued my contributions significantly and were always appreciative of the work I completed for them.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
All of the in-house legal practitioners were responsive and able to provide support when needed.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
Due to the irregular nature of work in the in-house department, some days could be busier than others.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I was given responsibility that might be expected of a 3 month internship.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I am now able to understand the world of legal services better as I am able to see things through the eyes of the client.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I wouldn't necessarily say the fun never stopped, however, there was always a positive atmosphere in the workplace. All colleagues were kind and thoughtful.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
The majority of the overall placement was well organised and I was able to contribute from the start date until the end. This often is not the case with internships as there are usually issues with IT etc.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
This in-house legal internship is geared towards developing the interns rather than the business gaining significantly from this added resource. The business benefits from interns being there, but the intern takes away the majority of benefits.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
Due to the small scale of in-house legal at the site, it would be difficult to gain employment beyond the internship.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
We attended a couple of social events in the 12 week placement which I think added to the social scene outside of work.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home so could only say that you could live here relatively well since other interns were renting and able to live comfortably.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Nightlife is great in Newcastle which isn't far from the site.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Due to the short nature of the internship, it was difficult to get into opportunities outside of work.