1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I really enjoyed working as part of the team within Inside Sales at HPE.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
Whenever I completed a task, I always received thanks from my colleagues and got good critical feedback on how to improve. From day one I felt like a valued member of the team.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
Throughout my placement year I was continuously given feedback on my performance which helped me to grow throughout the year. Managers were always more than happy to provide training and give guidance on tasks and weekly 1-1 meetings with managers made it easy to identify where I struggled and how to improve.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
My role enabled me to have tasks set out daily and plan what my week would look like. Due to the amount of organisational changes taking place at the time, it was difficult for managers to give out new tasks, however if actively seeking tasks managers were happy for myself to take responsibility
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
I feel that I was given a lot of responsibility throughout the year and that all managers trusted me to complete tasks in a timely and professional manner.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
I have gained some really important technical skills throughout my placement year, especially in terms of excel. Furthermore, some of my soft skills such as communicating as part of a team and having confidence to do voice my opinions has improved massively which I will carry with me into my final year and afterwards when looking for a graduate position.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
Great work environment. As this was a sales floor, the office was never completely silent which was good.
Everyone within the office was friendly and willing to help.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
Very good set up for the placement in general. Managers knew exactly what tasks and responsibilities each intern should have and there was a clear understanding of what was expected from us as interns.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
Again, the main thing the work placement has invested in myself is confidence and an improved understanding of what is it like to work in a real work environment in which decisions make a difference.
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There are many different opportunities within HPE for future employment prospects.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
A lot of HPE's workforce within inside sales consists of graduates or people who had recently finished the grad scheme. Throughout the year there was loads of nights out arranged to get to know the different teams and network with the managers.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I was living at home whilst on placement.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Glasgow City Centre is only a 15 minute taxi journey from where I stay and within the town there is numerous bars and clubs.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?
Yes, numerous charity events took place outside of work along with a number of nights out