Working as part of a Project Team to report, monitor & manage the project accounts of the Europe & International Mission Support and Training business area against the budget & latest forecast including a variety of accounting/analysis activities.
1. To what extent did you enjoy your work placement or internship?
I was placed in project accounting, this role involves quite a varied amount of tasks which meant my placement is enjoyable. At BAE there are a number of activities you can get involved in that require you to go out the office and you can have the opportunity to stay over in new places.
2. To what extent did you feel valued by your colleagues?
My whole team including my manager were great with me and really made me feel part of the team right from the start. They were including me on as many tasks as they could which was great.
3. To what extent were you given support and guidance by management/your supervisor(s)?
I have a wide range of support, my manager supports me and so does his manager. The rest of my team are really supportive and helpful as well.
4. How busy were you on a daily basis?
There have been days when a long day has felt like a couple of hours because I have been that busy - which is good. There have been others when my workload has been slow as well, overall I have had a good workload that I am happy with.
5. How much responsibility were you given during your placement?
In some aspects of my role I have been given full responsibility and can complete them independently. Examples of this are preparing my area's balance sheet, invoicing the a number of projects we deal with and deal with certain queries.
6. To what extent did/will the skills you developed, and training you received, assist you in your degree studies and beyond?
In terms of my accounting and finance degree, the skills such as preparing the balance sheet will be valuable going forward. The skills overall I have developed are second to none as working at BAE can be stretching as processes don't always go to plan but you learn so much when this happens.
7. What was the general atmosphere in your office?
I have worked with people I really get along with that have the right balance between work and social talk.
8. How well organised was the overall work placement or internship set up?
I think this could be improved, for example, some area's you are given a laptop but others you are not - I think this should be consistent throughout the business.
9. In terms of personal training and development, to what extent did the company or firm invest in you?
10. What were the perks on your work placement?
11. How appealing are future employment prospects within the organisation?
There are a lot of deals with the potential to be able to work abroad in the future which is very exciting.
12. Was there a good social scene amongst any fellow placement students/colleagues?
I play football every now and then with people I work with.
13. What was the cost of living and socialising in the area you worked in?
I lived at home during my placement but socialising costs are good.
14. What was the Nightlife like in the area you worked?
Preston is good, Manchester and Liverpool aren't far away either.
15. Were there many opportunities to get involved in activities outside of work?